Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Germany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/germany-37520/)

D. DeWitt Jan 27th, 1999 04:32 PM

Germany

5 days in Germany:What to see.

Bob Jan 27th, 1999 04:37 PM

Concentrate on Bavaria. Garmisch/Oberammergau and then over to Berchtesgaden. Munich a nice big city if you like big cities. Rothenburg also a nice town on the romantic road. You need to be a little more specific of area you are going to be in and your interests for any better advice. Five days in Bavaria definitely worth it. <BR>

Linda Jan 27th, 1999 07:15 PM

I agree with the above, except I think that Berlin is a most incredible city. From an entire ancient ruin in a museum to the Olympic Stadium to the Reichstag to Brandenburg Gate to Potsdam to Checkpoint Charlie Museum, history reigns. Then you have the art, architecture, shopping, nightlife. It is just a great city with so much to offer--should not be missed.

Linda Jan 27th, 1999 07:16 PM

I agree with the above, except I think that Berlin is a most incredible city. From an entire ancient ruin in a museum to the Olympic Stadium to the Reichstag to Brandenburg Gate to Potsdam to Checkpoint Charlie Museum, history reigns. Then you have the art, architecture, shopping, nightlife. It is just a great city with so much to offer--should not be missed.

Smilin Jan 28th, 1999 12:40 AM

&lt;Message: 5 days in Germany:What to see.&gt; <BR>

Smilin' Sam Jan 28th, 1999 12:47 AM

<BR>&lt;Message: 5 days in Germany:What to see.&gt; Is that five WHOLE days in Germany? Well, let's see. I figure you could see Bavaria in the morning then fly to Berlin and see that in the afternoon. That's leaves the rest of Germany for the next day and then you still have 3 whole days left. I suggest using that time with a leisurely tour of Italy, Spain, France, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Poland, Holland, Belgium, Britian and Ireland. That still leaves the last night for Albania. That should be a relaxing grand tour that easily can give you 5 days of merriment and education!

Lee Jan 28th, 1999 04:33 AM

Hello! <BR> <BR>No, no humorous diatribe from me. <BR> <BR>The suggestion of Bavaria would probably be best for a good "flavor" of what the country is about. I see Berlin as a next step for the German traveler, not as a starting point, although it is an interesting city. <BR> <BR>Flying into Munich would be a good idea and using public transportation while there. Two days would allow you to maybe see the Marienplatz, Frauenkirche, Nymphenburg and the Englisher Garten and Hofbrauhaus, maybe even the Olympic Village. You could rent a car at that point and head down to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and stay there or at a nearby town like Oberammergau. While in that area, you could visit Garmisch, of course, Ettal, Linderhof Castle, Oberammergau and then to Neuschwanstein Castle at Schwangau. Maybe even stop at the Weiskirche, which is also close by. There is a great variety of things to see and do in this region and all are close together. You could then head back to Munich for your departure. <BR> <BR>I am not sure of when you are taking your trip, which could alter your itinerary and I assume that you have five full days. <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR>