Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

German views on inter-racial relastionships

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 05:15 PM
Claudia

Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone knows how German's view inter-racial relationships? Are they accepting of it or stand-offish? Just wanted to know what to expect because my husband, myself and our 3 children are going there in a week. Thanks...

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 07:24 PM
Linda

I don't you will have a problem. One of the German teachers who stayed with us 12 years ago had adopted a multiracial child and that was well before he visited.

Old Mar 4th, 2000, 10:59 AM
Tricia

My 1/2 brother in Holland had neighbors who adopted a baby from China when she was founded abandoned. They took her there to help her find her birth family. They are very open and friendly in Holland if you have any problems in Germany.

Old Mar 4th, 2000, 01:07 PM
lindi

My mom's German penpal had a boyfriend who was from Mozambique, they were engaged to be married. (They didn't but it had nothing to do with race) So I don't think most Germans would feel interracial relationships "unnatural" or anything.

Old Mar 4th, 2000, 09:19 PM
nickie

Don't think you'll have any problems in the big cities, or on the regular tourist routes. I've heard that there might be more of a problem in what used to be East Germany, off the beaten track.
My brother is in an inter-racial relationship, and he has never had a problem over there (he lives there); in fact, no one looks at them twice, which is not the case in the United States!

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 05:47 PM
mark

Don't forget Boris Becker, one of Germany's national heroes, married a black-German woman.

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 08:14 PM
Joanna

I also remember that Boris & his lovely wife copped a lot of flak about their relationship in the German press - though that doesn't necessarily reflect the views of the general public.