Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   German Rail Twin Pass (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/german-rail-twin-pass-1024498/)

VickyWolfe Sep 2nd, 2014 07:35 AM

German Rail Twin Pass

My partner and I purchased a German Rail Twin pass - he would like to take a round-trip visit to see his son on one of the days, but I don't plan to travel with him. Will this be a problem - I'm OK if that trip counts as one of my travel days.
Thanks!

mokka4 Sep 2nd, 2014 12:46 PM

Everything I read on the DB site seems to indicate that you MUST travel together. I used a twin pass many years ago, but we never had occasion to travel without the other, so didn't test it. All I can suggest is, once on the ground, present both yourselves to the local rail office and ask whether one may travel if the other was "very sick". But be prepared for a "no!"

PalenQ Sep 2nd, 2014 01:42 PM

I've explored this question with the issuing railways several times and the answer is no both folks do not have to be on the train for the other person to use the pass - which makes sense since the other half loses a day of travel - what railway is going to complain about someone paying for travel and then not showing up and using it.

If you want to check with an expert I'd advise calling Byron at www.budgeteuropetravel.com - he sells the German Twin passes and I believe is one of the sources who told me that. I have boughgt umpteen various passes from him and he IME will always answer questions even though you are obviously not buying.

Check with him or whoever issued you German Twin Pass to be sure of the rules. And yes it does not hurt to ask like mokka4 says before traveling.

VickyWolfe Sep 2nd, 2014 02:55 PM

Thanks for the info -I'll follow up with Byron!
V

PalenQ Sep 2nd, 2014 03:58 PM

In the past when I asked Byron some technical arcane question he did not know the answer to he said he would call the railways involved directly - I believe but not sure ACP Rail is the marketing arm of German Passes though RailEurope may sell them too - each through many individual agents like Byron's outfit - so would count on the info. That said different folks can always interpret things differently so yes as mokka4 says be sure to ask before boarding as well.

Again it makes no sense for a railway or airline to need to have the passenger actually use their services after they have aid a non-refundable amount - in this case for that unlimited travel day on a Twin Pass for one of the folks involved. But you never know.

PalenQ Sep 3rd, 2014 05:23 AM

Vicky - please report back on what answer you get - I am curious as to the current definitive answer - my answer was in general terms with Saver and Twin passes.

PalenQ Sep 3rd, 2014 01:57 PM

Twin Passes can only be used by travelers who are traveling together in a group of 2 people.>

I looked up ACP Rail's conditions of use of the German Twin Pass and here is all it says: (above) - kind of nebulous whether they always must be two persons on the train itself - I think it says that because each person pays less p.p. about 20% on a Twin than over solo passes.

Unlike most Saverpasses where there can be often more than two and up to several on one pass the German Twin is the only pass I know where just groups of two qualify - a group of three would have to buy one solo and one twin pass - don't make much sense either.

Be interesting to get a definitive interpretation if there is one.