Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   German Rail Tickets - problem booking online (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/german-rail-tickets-problem-booking-online-772945/)

orangetravelcat Mar 13th, 2009 02:46 PM

German Rail Tickets - problem booking online

So I called my credit card company to advise will be making online purchase of German (and Italian) train tickets. The agent told me she is flagging my account so that I shouldnt have any problems making the purchase. I go to the German rail website, pick my trains, go thru the whole process, and then get a message that says my credit card needs to be authorized by telephone, and they don't do credit card authorizations.

I made the call to my cc company about a half hour ago. Do you think waiting a day or two will do any good or will I just have to buy my tickets there, and pay the higher fares.

Maybe we should just say the hell with the trains and buy a Porsche over there to drive around in! (If only that were an option...)

orangetravelcat Mar 13th, 2009 03:22 PM

Husband vetoed buying new Porsche in Stuttgart, so I went back to the German rail site and tried again, this time a different routing. Was able to successfully purchase 2 tickets from Stuttgart to Munich.

My first attempt to buy tickets was for Munich to Rovereto (Italy). Could it be I failed because my destination is a country other than Germany? Help.

orangetravelcat Mar 13th, 2009 04:07 PM

I give up. After successfully purchase Stuttgart to Munich tickets, tried to book Munich to Rovereto, and it looked like it was going thru - but then message said my credit card company denied the charge. So I called my cc company and they said the wrong expiration date was entered by DB. So I go back,do the whole thing over, and message says my cc company required authorization by telephone. If I am having this much difficulty with German rail, I can only imagine the fun that lies ahead when I try to book on Trenitalia.

ira Mar 14th, 2009 03:07 AM

Hi OTC,

>I can only imagine the fun that lies ahead when I try to book on Trenitalia.<

No, you can't.

DeBahn lists this as an information phone number:
From outside Germany please dial (+49)1805 996633 (14 ct./minute).

((I))

tod Mar 14th, 2009 05:04 AM

OTC - You have got my attention about this credit card thing.
2 weeks ago I booked 2 tickets on the DeBahn website from Paris to Munich on ICE. I have had no feedback that they had any trouble with my credit card and was wondering from which country are you trying to use your card?
I am in South Africa.

orangetravelcat Mar 14th, 2009 09:41 AM

I decided to try booking on DeBahn again and a few minutes ago, successfully purchased our tickets from Munich to Rovereto. I have no idea why I couldn't make the purchase last night. (I'm in the USA).

I might try Trenitalia again later. See if I get lucky again.

clueless20 Mar 14th, 2009 11:47 AM

it's a shame your husband veto-ed the porsche pickup in stuttgart idea, i thought it was a terrific one! :) sadly tho porsche does not offer discounts for european deliveries so i'd recommend picking up a bmw in munich instead (as bmw does offer special european delivery prices ;) )

i successfully ordered tickets on the bahn.de site last night using my amex. since you were successful today hopefully the problem has been resolved? pl do double check your statment to make sure the charge REALLY didnt go through last night tho... hope you have a terrific trip! :)