German Rail Pass in the Netherlands?

Jul 2nd, 2011, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

German Rail Pass in the Netherlands?

Hello all! I have a question I'm having a really hard time finding the answer to.

I'm going to Europe in a couple months and I'm having a hard time with the train ticket. I'm travelling between England, Netherlands, and Germany. I'm using EuroStar for England -> Netherlands and back so that leg is all set. The problem I'm having is with Netherlands <-> Germany.

I'm planning on getting the German 7-day Rail Pass ( http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/pr...railpass.shtml ). It says that it is valid for unlimited travel in 7 days out of 1 month, got that part. But it also says it's valid on all German Rail operated trains. Using the train search function on the website I see that DB Bahn has trains that run from Brussels to Amsterdam, Amsterdam to Berlin, etc. My question is if these trains are German Rail trains and does my pass cover them? I can't seem to find anyone else with this question even after hours of searching.
Jul 2nd, 2011, 09:34 PM

" My question is if these trains are German Rail trains and does my pass cover them?"

No

There's no such entity as "German Rail".

German Rail passes (simply a brand name for a kind of pass)are valid only on DB-operated trains in Germany and to Salzburg and Basle.
Jul 3rd, 2011, 12:36 AM

I think for the train from Amsterdam to Berlin (or anywhere else in Germany) you need a Dutch ticket to the border station and your pass then applies from there. If it is an ICE train you will also need to pay a small supplement for the Dutch section of the trip.
As far as I am aware DB do not operate trains between Belgium and The Netherlands, though they are listed on the DB website. In any case your pass will not be valid on that route. Buy your tickets ahead of time from Thalys to get the best price, but also compare that price to the price on the normal intercity train, which is slower, but can be cheaper than Thalys.

Have a look at www.seat61.com for lots of useful information on rail travel.
Jul 3rd, 2011, 05:43 AM

The DB Bahn website includes the timetable for all trains in Europe and many people use it as an easy source of that info. Don't be confused in thinking that because a train is listed there it's operated by DB (you'll see trains wholly within Italy, for example).
Jul 3rd, 2011, 06:34 AM

flanner;

You knew what the OP meant when you responded "There is no such thing as German Rail". She even posted the the link to the Deutsche Bahn site that is titled "German Rail Pass"

Perhaps you can translate "Deutsche Bahn" into English for us?

You thought she was confused and needed your "assistance" with the nomenclature? Really?
Jul 3rd, 2011, 09:20 AM

Consider getting an advance-sale ticket for your trip to Amsterdam from the DB website: http://www.bahn.de

I just looked and found a ticket for a date in September for 39 Euros Berlin to Amsterdam. Perhaps other similarly-priced tickets are available from other starting points on your dates of travel.

These "Europa-spezial" tickets are limited in quantity and go quickly.

It is also possible to use a railpass day to reach the Dutch border and to get a one-way ticket from the German border to A'dam. Regular fares start at about 32 Euros from Germany's Bad Bentheim station to A'dam, for example; advance sale tickets from there begin at 19 Euros.

So maybe you just need a 6-day pass + one ticket?

Find itin's and ticket prices here: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Also, 5- and 10-day German Railpasses ar on sule until July 11 - get 5 days for the 4-day price, 10 for the 8-day price.