Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > German Government To Be Involved in the Rail STrike Threat

German Government To Be Involved in the Rail STrike Threat

Jul 24th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

German Government To Be Involved in the Rail STrike Threat

I saw a news release that said that German
transportation minister Tiefensee had called both sides involved in the potential German rail strike to a conference with the intent to iron out the difficulties. (The word Annaeherung was used; it can mean rapprochment.) I am not sure what the possible impact federal involvlement might have because I don't know if Tiefensee or Chancellor Merkel have the power to force binding arbitration if normal negotiation and persuasion do not work.

In the meantime various higher labor union officials are becoming involved and the tension between the GDL and other labor organizations seems to be rising.

Michael Sommer of the Federation of German Trade Unions has called upon Peter Heesen of the Deutschen Beamtenbund (German civil servants association) to speak strongly to the GDL.

The German phrase was "...ein Machtwort gegenüber dessen Mitgliedsorganisation GDL zu sprechen. Machtwort sprechen translates to lay down the law.

Here is the quote I saw about federal involvement:

Im Tarifstreit zwischen der Deutschen Bahn und der Lokfuehrergewerkschaft GDL hat Verkehrsminister Tiefensee beide Seiten
zu einer Annaeherung aufgerufen

Sounds like affairs are gaining in heat, but so far not much light is showing.

Jul 24th, 2007, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the update - hope we hear more soon.
Jul 24th, 2007, 08:14 PM
DAX

I would hardly consider the transportation minister's call for the two sides to come together/closer as a sign of the government's willingness to get involved.

The GDL leadership is confident that they'll get as much as 90% approval vote to strike (well above the 75% requirement) and nobody else is going to stop the strike.

I've made changes to our vacation plan in August so that we don't rely on the train at all.

Search this Thread