Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ger is planning a weekend in Umbria. Suggestions needed, please.

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Hello all:

Inspired by Bougiorno’s trip report (Tuscany, Umbria, Marche), I am now planning a trip to Umbrian in mid-May. I would welcome your input.

Hotel:
There is a wonderful selection of hotels. I sent notes to various establishments for a price on a double room, single occupancy (I won’t stay in a single room). The front-runner is the Palazzo Bocci in Spello at 120 Euros per night
(http://www.palazzobocci.com/). Another interesting option is the Villa Monte Solare (http://www.villamontesolare.com/english/tariffe.htm); a double room for only 90 Euros.

I think the Bocci a better choice because of location for touring, availability of restaurants in the village. Both hotels have great reviews on Tripadvisor and elsewhere.

Touring:
I am reading the “Blue Guide” for Umbria and the Michelin Green Book for Italy as well as trip reports on this site. I will also check out Slowtrav.com for more information. I may be able to spend four days in the area. If so, here is my preliminary itinery. Please comment if I am doing too much or too little adn if I am missing out on anything:

Thursday: Pick up car at FCO at about 11am. Drive to hotel (about 2 hours). Have lunch. Explore Spello & Spoleto.

Friday: Spend the morning in Assisi. Suggestions for the afternoon? Would Gubbio fit in here? Any pother small town?

Saturday: Morning in Perugia. Suggestions for the afternoon? What about Citta del Casttelo?

Sunday: Orvieto in the morning. Any suggestions for the afternoon? I may visit Vitterbo in the late afternoon on the way to the airport. Later flight to the UK.

As always, I look forward to your comments.

Regards Ger
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Peep

Hey Ger! No advice but it sounds great! I hope you'll post a trip report when you get back!

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

I certainly intend to write a trip report Peep, but I am three trip reports behind already this year

regards Ger
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:39 AM

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Palazzo Bocci.

But I'm afraid you're trying to fit in too much. After a transatlantic flight, a two-hour drive and lunch, my guess is that you will find the energy to visit Spello and no more.

You can easily spend a day in Assisi; in my opinion, Gubbio is too far away to fit in on the same day and not really of first importance.

A day in Perugia is also possible; Citta di Castello is pretty far away and not very interesting, as far as I know. Close to Perugia is Torgiano with the Wine Museum and the reportedly excellent restaurant Le Tre Vaselle. If you are interested in pottery, Deruta is very close to Torgiano.

After rosy-pink Spello, I found dark-grey Spoleto a bit of a disappointment. But if you go, try to fit in the tiny picturesque towns of Bevagna and Montefalco (they are not on a direct route to Spoleto). I enjoyed a lunch at Coccorone in Montefalco: very good traditional Umbrian cuisine.

The route from Spello to Orvieto is not the most direct; you might find that you only have time for Orvieto.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Eloise, I appreciate the advice. Actually, I will be arriving from the UK after two days of rest and business, so I will be fresh and energetic

I was thinking of Deruta (we have quite a bit of it, purhcased in Canada for an outrageous price!) but am still debating if I want to got to the bother of shopping at the risk of losing out on sight-seeing.

Regards Ger