Reload this Page >

Experienced Traveler Needs HELP!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 05:04 PM
Kim

We are looking for suggestions for a two-week European vacation. We've been to many great cities in Europe and are looking for something a little different this time. We'd like to combine sightseeing (on our own) with relaxing (which is something we've never been able to do in Europe!) How about Rhodes? Costa Del Sol? Capri? We also wouldn't mind splitting the two weeks up between two (close in proximity)destinations, but don't want to hotel hop this time! Any suggestions on locations, sights and accomodations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much and safe travels to you all

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 05:10 PM
Al

When would you plan to be going? Many recommendations would depend on the time of year.

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 01:18 AM
nellie

Prague. Costa del Sol and the Algarve.

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 06:05 AM
Sheila

Immediate suggestions:- <BR>Paris and the Loire for sightseeing followed by Brittany or Provence for chilling out. <BR> <BR>Rome/Naples for sightseeing followed by Calabria for chilling out. <BR> <BR>Crete north coast followed by Crete south coast <BR> <BR>Lastly London/Oxford/Stratford followed by the West Highlands of Scotland, Cornwall or Wales. <BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 06:36 AM
karen

You mentioned Capri, so I have to put in a vote for that magical place. Some of my fondest memories are of walking on the rocky paths, climbing down the rosemary-covered rocks to picnic on prosciutto and panini next to the sea, hiking up to Tiberius' villa, and yes, dining in luxury at one of the bathhouse restaurants with the beautiful people, too!

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 07:02 AM
Ann Speakman

You should consider Lake Como and stay either at Varenna or Bellagio. Both are small but lovely towns on the lake. Nothing can be more relaxing than travelling all over the lake by ferries. You can cross the lake to Menaggio and catch a bus to Lugano in Switzerland or from Varenna you can travel by train to Milan. The possibilities are many and for me Lake Como is the jewel of the Italian Lakes. The Costa Del Sol is over developed and always very crowded. I guess it all depends what you want.

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 11:44 AM
Kim

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions! To answer your question Al, we are flexible in terms of departure dates ranging from the end of May through August.

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 12:37 PM
Al

One of the best trips ever came in 1997 when we bought a package from Bergen Lines, with offices in New York. We flew from America to Oslo via Amsterdam. <BR>After a couple days, we took a train to Bergen through the mountains. Then we boarded a brand-new coastal steamer and sailed all the way up the Norwegian Coast, past the North Cape, and finally to Kirkenes, almost at the Russian border. Stopped in many coastal towns and cities along the way, taking day trips ashore in several. Food aboard was excellent, the cabin was spotless, and the mood is very relaxed and informal. Highly recommend. Superb scenery. Because there is a chain of offshore islands that acts as a breakwater, the sea usually was very calm. We went in early August, and the sun went down around 11:30 and came up at 1 a.m. In June, I understand, the sun never really sets. From Kirkenes, we flew back to Oslo. And later flew back to America. The Bergen Lines did a very efficient job of making all arrangements.

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 01:39 PM
P Reifers

Go in May/June. After that you're in the European holiday season, especially in the Mediterranean. London-train to Paris-fly or rail to Munich-rail to Salzburg (Austria)fly or rail to Venice-fly or rail to Florence-rail to Rome-relax in Sorrento with day trips to Capri and Naples. Try to get an individual package inclusive hotels and transportation, otherwise be prepared to spend $ 150.00 a night for a decent hotel room. Can't you extend to 3 weeks?

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 02:25 AM
Sheila

Given your available dates, avoid August both for crowds and weather which inthe Med is too hot and in the mountains is thundery. <BR> <BR>Anther thought for earlier is Barcelona and the northern Spanish Cities in the sightseeinbg week and the Pyrenees in the slobbing about week. <BR> <BR>Good luck

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 02:27 AM
Sheila

I do like this question. Another idea. Cyprus with a week based on Nicosia/Limassol- you can do one of the three day cruises to Egypt and Israel- then a week in the west and the mountains. <BR> <BR>Can I come too please?

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 03:32 PM
Joanna

Rhodes would be an excellent choice, especially in May before the hordes of tourists come. It might be a little too cold to swim then, as we found it very chilly. The old town of Rhodes is gorgeous and great to walk around, especially the Street of the Knights. Loved the Grand Master's Palace and the Knight's Hospital (now an archaeological museum). Lindos is also gorgeous, especially its acropolis. We rode donkeys up and walked down. The town is typical of Greek island towns - whitewashed houses with gorgeous potted plants and friendly people. Also caught local bus to Kamiros, another archaeological site (dating to the Hellenistic period). The old ladies that boarded the bus made the sign of the cross as the bus took off!