Search

Bus tour in Vienna?

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bus tour in Vienna?

Hello,
We will be in Vienna for an 8hr lay over on our way from Toronto to Florence.

Does anyone know of a tour that we can catch from the airport? A private tour we can arrange by mini-van (we are a group of 6)? Or any other suggestions on how to spend the lay over time?

Thanks,
Lily
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:55 PM

Sorry I don't have a direct reply, but you can e-mail the Vienna tourism board and I'm sure they will help. Go to www.wien.info Click on English. Then on "contact" at the top of the page.
They are very helpful.

Vera
Old May 31st, 2004, 06:55 AM

try - www.airportexpress.at They have an english site and can probably arrange a mini van tour with guide for a tour of the major sites.
I do not know of any regular tour from the airport for the city.

You can also take a train or bus into the city and do a freelance tour using public transport but by the time you pay the cost of transfers for 6 people and time to find your way, the guide and van may be a good bargain considering the minimal time you have.
The web site given by the prior poster may not yield results. try www.wien.at

Old May 31st, 2004, 07:28 AM

Another option would be to go into the city on your own via taxi (three people per taxi) to the State Opera House and catch one of the regular "ring" trams...you will see many of the main sights that way. After circling central Vienna by tram, you could have a private walking tour through the central area (arrange to meet the guide in front of the State Opera house or at the Sacher Hotel, both near ring tram stops). The problem with a van or bus tour, although they will show you quite a bit, is that some of the main areas--the Graben, St. Stephan's cathedral, the Karntnerstrasse, are primarily pedestrian zones. Of course, if some of your group aren't able to participate in a walking tour, then a minivan tour makes more sense.
If it were my group, I would go into town, do the ring by public tram, take a walking tour (one hour to 90 minutes), then retire to a classic Viennese cafe for lunch, dessert and coffee (Demel is the most famous, but I prefer Oberlaa, to each his own!). Figure 30 minutes to get into town, 45 minutes for the tram ride, 1.5 hours for the leisurely walking tour, 1.5 hours for lunch, then an hour or two for some shopping or whatever, then back to the airport by taxi.
Or do the tram, then walking tour, then lunch at one of Vienna's better restaurants like Meinl am Graben (reserve a table overlooking the Graben), then back to the airport by two taxis (three of you per taxi).
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 11:50 AM

I would conur on getting to the Opera House by taxi since your time is short. It should cost about But instead of the tram, there are tour buses that run from the corner there called "Hop on -Hop Off". You can buy a one hour, 2 hour, or 24 hour pass. There are three different colored lines that tour different parts of the city. It's a wonderful way to get an overview of Vienna. You could ride all three lines in about 4 hours and still have time to walk from the Opera House to St. Stephens's for a look inside. You can't miss the yellow and green double decker buses and they sell the tickets to you right there, and give you the schedule.
Oh, it is an audio guided tour, giving a lot of information. You are free to hop on, hop off if something really strikes your fancy. I highly recommend this way to see as much of the city as possible. It cost us 20 euros each for a 24 hr pass.