genoa to tialian riviera and CT

Jun 1st, 2007, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

genoa to tialian riviera and CT

We are going to Genoa for a four day weekend, part business. Is it possabile to see CT towns and Portofino area in two days and one ovenight? Drive or take the train? And where is a good spot to spend the one night?
Jun 1st, 2007, 11:52 AM

Pick one...Cinque Terre consists of 5 villages and to adequately visit this area you need every bit of 2 days. I'd take the train.
Jun 1st, 2007, 11:54 AM

Oh yes, and I've stayed in Franca Maria apartment in Vernazza (Rick STeves recommends)...some of the apartments are great and one in particular is not I'd get one of the largest rooms and one with windows opening out onto the piazza if possible. I've also stayed at Hotel Pasquale in Monterrosso right on the beach. It's nice and provides breakfast.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 01:16 AM

Hi Batisl - It's certainly easy enough by train. You could spend one day in each area ...

In the Portofino peninsular area Santa Margherita Ligure would be a good choice for your overnight stay IMO.

Besides Portofino (- by bus or boat) I'd recommend the bus ride over to Camogli from S. Margherita. Nearby Rapallo too is attractive if you have time ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Jun 2nd, 2007, 03:09 AM

I agree that your time frame does not allow time for too much wandering, but a train would probably be best.

You could train from Genoa to Portofino for lunch and a little shopping.If you have all your luggage with you you could drop it at Left Luggage while in Portofino.

Then continue on to CT to overnight, perhaps Monterosso.Tour a couple of the other towns on the second day using train or boat.The towns are not very far apart. Then return to Genoa the evening of the 2nd day.