Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Geneva two weeks for business..restaurants?? and CERN??

Mar 12th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone
I'll be in Geneva for two weeks for business.
I am staying at a hotel close to the train station.
Can anyone give me advice for offbeat maybe really local places to eat..
I am not a big meat eat and I like food from the Mediterrain
As well food from the middle east.
Also if anyone has advice on visiting CERN on the sunday I arrive that would be great!
Thanks
Mar 12th, 2014, 08:16 PM
kja

Not particularly off-beat, but I had an excellent meal at Bistrot du Boeuf Rouge, which is not far from the train station. You can find my review of it on tripadvisor under KJA3.
Mar 12th, 2014, 08:46 PM

Sorry, don't remember (or proabably never knew) where the train station is. But I had my best fondue in Switzerland at this place close to the Intercontinental Hotel which is by the UN headquarters

http://www.cafedusoleil.ch/site/fr/
Mar 25th, 2014, 05:02 AM

Hey, I'm about to do a business trip to geneva too. which is why I was doing some research. I found this statistic:

http://www.statista.com/statistics/2...siness-travel/

can you agree with that? I would like to know what I have to expect there..
Mar 25th, 2014, 07:20 AM

It is a very short walk from train station over the bridge to the Rue du Rhone and its great people-watching shopping plaza. Even though you are on business trip, you will still need deep pockets. For a fast and fun lunch or dinner, particularly if you're on your own, wander inside the huge Globus department store's food hall (on first floor at pedestrian plaza entrance) where anything and everything will tempt you. Lots of nice seating and outside. Husband and I went in opposite directions, I went with fabulous crepe, he to the salmon brushchetta, but there are lots and lots of counters from which to pick your meal; the wine bar up front and center was hopping with working people. Save room for the giant, and mounted in dark chocolate, macarons, worth every CHF. (Crepe @ 15.50 chf, salmon bruschetta 8.50, macarons @ 6). It was bustling and very fun. If you're staying over near the train station do drop into the Beau Rivage's (lakeside hotel) exquisite bar for a drink. Wear your Sunday best. Live entertainment even on weeknights. It is quite swank. Husband's business trips never got us to such spots but we returned as humble tourists to view Empress Cici's statue outside (last Empress of Austria stabbed outside, her room still preserved inside).