Search

struggling with italy itinerary

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
struggling with italy itinerary

Hi Everyone,
I have progressed with our itinerary for our Italy trip but I am still struggling. We are a family of four and we are flying in and out of rome in July and staying in Italy for 15 nights. We are most interested in the Amalfi coast and tuscany.

So far, I was planning to spend 2-3 nights in Rome and then head for Positano. There I already made reservations at the Hotel California for 5-6 nights. I haven't had time to review all our transportation options to get to Positano but I guess we will take a train to either Naples or Sorrento and then figure out how to get to Positano.

From Positano, we would like to go to Tuscany and I could use help on how best to get there. Possibly a train to Orvieto or Chuisi (sorry spelling??) and rent a car there and then on to whichever town we pick. We are looking at La Saracina but I also really like the idea of staying in a quaint small town and not worrying about night driving.
Are there any hotels in town that are as charming as La Saracina?? Any recommendations?? I loved the photos of Locanda San francesco, but it doesn't look like they have any accomodations for a family of 4.

On a side note, we also would like to go to Florence but we don't necessarily have to stay there. But if we day trip there, I was wondering how we would go since it is advised against driving. Are there buses from these Tuscan towns to Florence??

It looks like we will have about 5 nights for Tuscany. If we stay at La saracina I was thinking 3 nights might be enough and then pick another spot for 2 nights ( possibly where we can return the rental car) and then train it back to Rome for one night before our early flight out.

I really am sorry if I have rambled on. Any help on any part of this post would be incredibly helpful.
Thanks a million!!!!!!
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:26 PM

With a family of four, you might find it a lot easier to get yourself to Salerno or Sorrento from Positano and rent a car and drive to Tuscany.

There are so many "charming" places in southern Tuscany, either in town or in the countryside serving food for dinner, you really needn't worry. The downside of staying in town is that you usually can't find a swimming pool, and Tuscany is hot.

Here are some places that are family friendly with restaurants and pools:

http://www.agriturismo.it/SanLorenzo...to_gallery.asp

http://www.agriturismo.it/bagnacci/enphoto_gallery.asp

http://www.agriturismo.it/bonello/enphoto_gallery.asp

http://www.agriturismo.it/nibbiano/enphoto_gallery.asp

http://www.agriturismo.it/villepetro...to_gallery.asp

Were it me, I would add a day to Rome and use it to day trip to Florence before going to Positano. Then you would have 4 solid nights in Tuscany, and you could use the car to drive to the airport the night before your flight. If you arrive early enough, you could see Ostia Antica, which is near FCO.

Have a great trip!
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:31 PM

http://www.sanlorenzoagriturismo.it/...restaurant.htm
Old May 25th, 2010, 08:58 PM

We just returned from 19 days in Italy and I'd suggest 4 nights in Rome, especially since the first night will be the day/night you arrive- this would give you 3 full days in Rome (which we absolutely loved; I'd recommend staying in the Piazza Navona area). There is SO much to see and do in Rome, and it is a very easy city to walk around in.
We took the Currerri bus from Rome to Sorrento (departs Tiburtina station at 2 pm and arrives Sorrento at 5:30), which avoids the chaos of Naples and the train station there- you could take a bus on to Positano. We adored Sorrento, although we were only there for 2 nights, and used that stop in part to travel by train to Pompeii (just 35 min. and you're dropped off right near the ruins). We definitely plan to return to the Amalfi coast for more exploration, so I envy you your time in Positano.
We then picked up a rental car in Sorrento and drove to Cortona, where we spent 3 nights before moving on to Siena for 2 nights. From Cortona we were able to explore Deruta and Assisi and from Siena we went to Montalcino, Montepulciano, Monteriggioni (a fabulous TINY town, you can see in just an hour or so), and San Gimignano. You could train into Florence from Tuscany for the day (many options there); we dropped our car at the Florence airport and took a cab into the city where we stayed for 4 nights. I am an art nut so 4 days was barely enough for me to scratch the surface of Florence, and I was glad we scheduled lots of time there.

We too had debated back and forth on how to get from the Amalfi coast to Tuscany and where best to pick up a car, and it was a wonderful Fodorite who just said, why not pick up the car in Sorrento and save yourself the hassle of trying to get to Tuscany by public transportation?! Duh!

Have a great trip- we loved (almost) every minute of ours!
Old May 26th, 2010, 04:43 AM

When we went from Positano to Tuscany we rented a car in Sorrento and drove. It was very easy, freeway most of the way. I think it took about 5 hours total with a stop for lunch.
Old May 26th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Duh is right! Thank you for all your input. traveling through Sorrento to go to Positano and then renting a car in Sorrento on our way out to Tuscany sounds great. I think I will add an extra night to Rome also as suggested. Now I am thinking a spending 3 nights in Tuscany and then maybe 2 in Florence or Orvieto where we can return the car and then train to Rome for our last night before leaving.
Thanks again for your invaluable input!!!!!
Old May 26th, 2010, 01:14 PM

I've done the train from Rome to Naples to Sorrento, then bus to Positano and would advise against it. It takes the big chunk of the day and there is a lot of schlepping of luggage. Train to Salerno and ferry to Positano, or train to Naples and get a driver to take you to Positano.
Old May 26th, 2010, 01:23 PM

hiring a driver from Naples to Positano is quite expensive, isn't it?
Old May 26th, 2010, 01:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Or bus from Rome to Positano - no changes required.