Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Geneva and Zermatt........ (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/geneva-and-zermatt-203932/)

Mike Jan 25th, 2003 04:31 PM

Geneva and Zermatt........

I'll be traveling to Geneva and Zermatt Switzerland in the middle of May for four nights and five days from the east coast. I'm planning on spending two nights in Geneva and three nights in Zermatt. Would this be an advisable itinerary? Also, what would the weather be like in the middle of May? Thanks for your reply....

xxxxxx Jan 25th, 2003 06:52 PM

TOPPING!

jw Jan 26th, 2003 03:58 AM

Topping for you, Mike. My only suggestion is that you consider staying on a lake town a bit outside of Geneve. There are many descriptions of the area around here someplace -- try searching for Lavaux or Vevey or Montreux. I'm sure that someone will comment on Zermatt. J.

Ingo Jan 26th, 2003 09:05 AM

Hello Mike,<BR>I also read your post on the other forum (and also swandav’s reply). I agree that you should stay in Montreux instead of Geneva.<BR><BR>Luzern is probably too far away. Zermatt, on the other hand, is a dead place in May – right after skiing season. Most tourist facilities will be closed. <BR><BR>If you want to see the Swiss Alps, do day trips from Montreux. Or go to Grindelwald and stay there for or two nights. Grindelwald and the Bernese Oberland are not very busy at this time, but not closed as Zermatt and many other resorts are.<BR><BR>Regarding the weather: it can be cold (like swandav mentioned) but also pretty warm and sunny. So you should definitely have a look at the weather forecast before you are heading to Geneva.<BR><BR>Enjoy, Ingo<BR>

susan Jan 26th, 2003 10:05 AM

I have friends who live there so have had the pleasure to spend time in Lausanne, Vevey, and Montreux. Highly recommend any of these three towns!! They are all right off the train route along Lac Luman within about 1 hrs. ride outside Geneva. And they are simply wonderful.<BR><BR>Geneva is fine and all, but a HUGE city. It is extremely international and doesn't give you the feeling of being in Switzerland so much.

Mike Jan 26th, 2003 10:34 AM

Thank you all for your kind advice. When I arrive in Geneva I'll base in Montreux and tour Vevey and Lausanne from there. I'll do a day trip to Zermatt. Absolutely must see the Matterhorn up close. I'll also check the weather before I go. <BR><BR>I'm doing a lot of research on the internet concerning hotels, prices, tours and places to eat. I will be traveling alone. Thanks again!<BR><BR>

Grasshopper Jan 26th, 2003 10:48 AM

Mike, I went last June/July to that area and found the Hotel Negotiants in Vevey to be very comfortable (only $60 for one person!). It is close to the town square and there's a farmer's market on Sat and Wed. Easy walk to train station and boat dock. While you are there, be sure to take the steamer around the lake. The trip to Geneva is beautiful (takes about 5 hours) and you can train back in less than an hour. Also, take the train to Les Pliedes and Blonay for a beautiful view of the Lake from up above.