Geneva Airport ?s - money exchange/ticket to BO/SIM card/snacks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All! I'll be arriving at Geneva Cointrin Airport on a Thursday evening at 3:30 PM. I plan to get my luggage and to immediately head to Saanen, for the first half of my 6 nights in the BO. I'd very much appreciate your advice with the following:
1 Money exchange: is there a reputable money exchange in the Airport? Things to look out for? I assume there must be many, open late, but according to Rick Steves and another guidebook, it's best to exchange money in a bank. Should I exchange a small amount for my ticket and exchange the rest in a bank in Saanen, Gstaad, Interlaken, Wilderswil? Or is there a bank in the airport?
2 Should I purchase my ticket to Saanen at the airport - just before my trip, or, should I buy now online from the US? I assume the price will be the same. (I am purchasing 1 way tickets for second class point-to-point travel - I don't have a pass and will not purchase one.) I want to be sure that ticket booths are open late. If I purchase a ticket online, must it be for a particular train - meaning if my flight is delayed, etc, can I still use the ticket I purchased online?
3. Can I get a SIM card at the airport? Any shop you recommend? I can always wait until later - (I will be staying in Geneva for 2.5 months).
4. Is there a grocery store to purchase snacks to take with me on my train trip to Saanen?
Apologies if the questions seem basic - I will have my luggage and just want to get on my way to the hills and the mountains. If there is any other advice you can offer( like what side of the train to sit on), I'd very much appreciate it.
I read about a free transfer when you arrive at the airport, but I assume that is to a destination in Geneva and thus not helpful to me.
Thanks!
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 09:20 AM

Get the money out of an ATM in the airport. There is a grocery store right next to the airport. In fact, they are connected. Once you pick up your luggage you can just head to the left and it will take you to the grocery store. I think there might be places to get a SIM card, but you might be able to buy a SIM card elsewhere cheaper. Free transfer is for Geneva only.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 09:23 AM

Use the airport ATMS for the best rate of exchange typically.

Investigate the Swiss Transfer Ticket or Swiss Card which both give you a return train/bus ticket from any airport to any place in Switzerland and back - could be cheaper than buying two full fare tickets.

Check these sources for lots of great info on that and Swiss transports in general - www.swisstravelsystem.com; http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id3.html and www.ricksteves.com.

If traveling after Sep 1 note there is a 2 for 1 sale on 4-day Swiss Flexipasses which could, if traveling with more than one person on a pass, be a great deal.

You can check bags at airport train station for a fee and have them waiting for you later in any train station. And in reverse the Train to Plane option takes you bags from any Swiss station right to the airport.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 09:50 AM

Forget finding a bank to exchange your money. Use your ATM card at a machine - it's always the best/least expensive way to get cash.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, all, for this very helpful information!
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 10:28 AM

> There is a grocery store right next to the airport. In fact, they are connected. ... to the grocery store.

It would be clearer if said that there is a grocery store "in the train station " next to the airport. The train station is directly connected to the airport - no need to go outside. Once in the station area, you need to cross the floor to the other end, that's where the Migros supermarket is located.

Re : Sim card, there can be one in the airport/station area. If you have a chance later to be at the Cornavin main railway station, on the underground level, there is a stand that sells a Sim card in front of a Kiosk ( across from Swisscom Shop ) . It costed like CHF20.00 a few months ago. I suppose there is a stand like this in the airport - railway station but I have not noticed it myself.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Kappa1.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

And thank you, all, for the tip to use ATMs! Didn't read that in any guidebook. I'm now working on opening a credit union account to avoid ATM fees . This forum is just wonderful!
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 05:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yup the grocery store is over in the corner of the train station, which is connected to the airport. I think is was a Migros??

Get set up to use ATMs. That's really the way to go instead of "exchanging" money. It's safer, more convient, and more economical.

I'm no expert on your exact plans, but yes I land Geneva, walked to the train station which is connected, bought a ticket from the clerk at a window there for the next train to Vevey. I hadn't done anything online or in advance.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 05:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
OOps, sorry I see Kappa has already given the details about the store.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Suze!
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 12:05 PM

Yup the grocery store is over in the corner of the train station, which is connected to the airport. I think is was a Migros?>

I love Migros except last I knew they refuse to sell alcohol so I go to the Co-Op stores just for that reason.
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

As long as they sell chocolate ...