Search

Geneva airport and airport hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 08:57 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geneva airport and airport hotels

My flight home will be leaving at 7:20am, so I'm thinking of spending my last night at an airport hotel. It appears that the airport is sitting on the French/Swiss border, right? I have been looking on the web and the airport hotels on the Swiss side are considerably more expensive than those on the French side. My only concern with the French side is that there could be delays at the border. Since it will be so early in the morning, it seems like this won't be a problem, but I hope someone can give me a bit more insight. Also if you can suggest a hotel on either side of the border, please do. I would like to stay under $85 USD if possible, but I will pay more if necessary. Thanks.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 10:05 AM

You're right, it is less in France. I lived in Geneva years ago and even then there were no delays at the border. When I returned a few years ago we just showed our passport and were waved through. I don't know if traffic would cause a delay. Can't help on hotels. Seach on the web for hotels in Ferney/Voltaire or Gex.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 12:37 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks, Mollie.
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 04:19 AM
P_M
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 08:47 AM
P_M
Original Poster

topping one last time....

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 09:35 AM
ron

I'm not sure what more you want. About a decade ago, I stayed a couple of nights at the Campanile in Ferney Voltaire before transferring to a hotel in central Geneva. The ** Campanile was plain, but clean and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent, far superior to what was offered at the 'better'*** Geneva hotel. And, of course, the Campanile was less than half the price for a nicer room. One of the cab drivers mentioned that the Campanile's dining room had an excellent reputation, but I didn't have a chance to eat there (other than breakfast).

I travelled back and forth by cab; as I remember, the driver slowed down as he passed passport control, I held my passport up to the window and we were waved through without stopping.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 09:45 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Mollie's insight was very helpful, but I was still looking for the name of a decent airport hotel. I appreciate your reply.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 09:50 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Mollie's insight was very helpful, but I was still looking for the name of a decent airport hotel. I appreciate your reply. I'll check out that hotel.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe you already know this already... but the Geneva airport is connected to the train station building. So any hotel near the downtown Geneva station is just one stop away from the airport by train.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:09 AM
P_M
Original Poster

I did not know that, thanks.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:15 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Suze, do you know what time the trains start running in the morning, and how long is the ride?
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 09:16 AM

The first train from Geneva to the airport arrives at 7:21am. Bus #10 is my preferred way from the center of town to the airport, but I don't know when the buses start running.

I lived there so don't have a recommended hotel but here is a suggestion. Go to www.viamichelin.com and enter <i>aeroport geneve</i> and <i>switzerland</i> in the map box. Then click <u>hotels</u> and you'll be presented with a good selection which shows their distance from the airport, and the map will show their location. Click on a hotel for particulars about price etc. Some of the hotels listed are in France and most are in Geneva. Crossing the border was never a problem; just flash your passport and you're over it. You can reserve a taxi the night before to get you to the airport if the hotel does not have a van.

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:07 AM

The first train at 07:21? Try www.cff.ch. It says there is one, dep.05:37, arr.05:43. and then there are at least 4 trains every hour. I think Suze's suggestion to stay by Geneva station is a good option considering the great train-airport connection. The lake is a 5-minute walk which you might like to do the night before. There are many 2-3 star hotels by the station. By the airport, Swiss side, IBIS Airport could be the least expensive one which may still have the CHF95.00 (about 85 dollors?) room offer.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:09 AM

PM, I did similar post a few weeks back. We also have a very early flight. Got great advice about checking our baggage the night before and a list of hotels close to the airport. Ended up booking the Holiday Inn for $130.
Search Switzerland/Airport hotel in Geneva.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:15 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I'll take a look at the web site kappa suggested for train schedules. If it's a short ride and the train leaves early enough, it might be better just to stay in town. I appreciate the input from all of you.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:28 AM

Just in case, the following is for timetable search in English for SBB/CFF, Swiss Federal Railways.

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en?
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 08:31 PM

Hi again. I've found this website for you. The Hotel Median looks nice in Ferney/Voltaire and on one website it showed they had transportation to the airport. Rates seem to be about 57 Euros, about $68.

The center of Geneva is close to the airport. The lake is beautiful, just walk down Rue du Mont Blanc and if you get a chance I would spend some time in the 'old town' area around Place Bourg de Four as well. For a fabulous restaurant in the old town area try &quot;Les Armures.&quot; It has wonderful cheese fondue.

I believe you will pay more staying in Geneva rather than France.

http://www.francehotelfinder.com/ferney_voltaire.html
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 04:40 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks for finding that for me, Mollie!! You all have given me so much great info to help with my trip, thanks again to all!!

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 05:20 AM

Oops, looks like I'll have to stop using that old timetable. Thanks for the Swiss rail link, kappa.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 07:29 AM

The airport is VERY close to downtown Geneva...like 10 min. on the train. SO...perhaps you could arrange an early taxi at around 5am. The taxi couldn't be too expensive if it is that close. We stayed at a a very nice hotel a block from the station, (forget the name)but you wouldn't need to be at that location if taking a taxi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -