Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

General transportation options around UK - a debate

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spouse and I are having a running debate/argument on our transportation plans for our Holidays in the UK - would like to hear some experienced UK traveler opinions.

Our air and hotel are covered by FF miles/hotel points so our only expense outside of meals and entertainment, is transportation.

Arriving at Gatwick on Dec. 20th (a Saturday)
We can rent a car to drive to Farnsborough (staying near a relative) for two days (got a good rate on an automatic from Hertz,) that we will then drive into London on Monday the 22nd and return it there.

We will not have a car in London, staying until Saturday 12/27 when we will pick up a car in London and drive to Cardiff/Wales for a few days, on to Devon for a few days, returning it to Gatwick when we leave.

I rent from Hertz over 40 times a year and got a good deal, with free upgrades, etc. Total cost for both rentals (2days + 5 days) is US$350.00 (automatic transmission)

Option 2 - Spouse thinks it would be fine to rely on Relative to pick us up at airport (over an hour from their home) and shuttle us around our first 2 days (our hotel is approx. 10 miles from their rural home) - then we should take a BUS (not train, a BUS) into London... we're staying at the Marriott Country Hall... then we should take a BUS to Bristol or Cardiff... rent a car in Bristol or Cardiff and return to the airport (5 day rental)

We will be 2 adults, 1 Nine yr old child, with at least 2 large suitcases, 2 pilot cases, a laptop and childs backpack to haul around.

A BUS? His sister told him that it's the cheapest way to go and sorta "fun" so he think's it's the ONLY way to go and think's I'm crazy for wanting to drive.

I welcome any and all opinions... (even if you dont agree with mine)
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 07:34 PM

just a caution--are you aware of the driving restrictions for personal autos in london...there is a new tax...check it out..

i use hertz too but often find them expensive....i try auto europe who in turn use hertz in some locations and get it much cheaper....

have you tried renting through your airline....i am going to london for 2 days shortly...through b/a i got the best deal for the car....short term rentals are always so expensive....plus there is a 20 pound fee per rental in the uk from airports...so my $31 rental (mid-size standard) becomes almost $60 for 24 hours....

why do you need automatic---it can add as much as 50% to the price of the car...??
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 07:36 PM

forgot to add that my british friends hate to come to the airport, especially heathrow, so i never ask them....gatwick is much simpler..

brits think differently than we do....we would always meet people, but their public transportation is so good that it is usually not necessary and parking is tough at their airports...
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Automatic because neither of us has driven a manual in about 20 years...

When I was checking around, my Hertz rate came in very competitively...total of 7 days rental (2 and 5 days) for approx. $350 US (including fees and taxes, not fuel) plus because of my business account with Hertz, I have insurance, and am "President's Club" so will get an upgraded car.... and it just seemed like a safe bet. With another agency will have to pick up the insurance which will add a bit to the rental...

but the question is, would you rent the car for the 7 days (2/5 days on either end) or take a bus?
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

I should add, this English cousin is insisting that if we rent a car, he will STILL be at the airport and will follow us around until he his confident we drive on the correct side of the road.... (he works for Scotland yard) - he thinks we should forget the rental the 1st 2-days as it's being wasteful when he can drive us whenever and wherever we want that weekend...yet I don't feel comfortable with the idea of being "stuck" at a rural hotel having to ring him when we need a ride...(he does have a young family as well)
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 08:09 PM

I don't blame you for feeling that way, Justame. I haven't been to England so I can't comment on the bus system there, but you obviously want the freedom and independence that comes with having a car. I would too. Sounds like the cousins, with the best of intentions no doubt, are trying to control your trip. You will be put into the position of feeling guilty whenever you want to go somewhere, and at having to express gratitude for every ride. It's a receipe for resentment. Who cares if they think it's a waste of money, it's YOUR money! It's YOUR trip! Make your decision based on what YOU want.

There are a couple of members of my extended family that like to try to do this type of thing to my husband and I. I've learned to put my foot down (politely) with them and my husband when he waffles.

Old Oct 30th, 2003, 12:29 AM

If it helps you can check both bus and train timetables and fares online.

www.qjump.co.uk and www.thetrainline.com

www.nationalexpress.com
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 02:03 AM

A couple of observations:

1. The first couple of days. It's entirely your call about how dependent you want to be on them. Do remember though that there's no such thing as a rural location within 100 miles of London, at least not "rural" as in, say, Idaho. So 10 miles is likely to be a lot more than 10 minutes away.

Do NOT take the cheapest option from your relatives to Central London. If they usually use the bus to go there, fine: it may be the most convenient option. But it's unlikely: it sounds like you're staying close to a train line to Waterloo, which is a pleasant walk to County Hall, if your luggage is the right shape.

2. If you decide to use your relatives for transport, so that collecting a hire car in London would be your first experience of driving on the left AND of navigation on a pre-medieval road plan, you're being slightly heroic. Many of us learnt to drive in Central London and we're still here, but some people do find it daunting.
So if you're nervous of collecting a car at Waterloo, public transport might well be an option.
Inter-city buses here aren't just the preserve of lowlifes and backpackers. But "fun" isn't the obvious term. They're just buses. Their one advantage is that you're a bit higher than in a car (though double deckers aren't usual on inter-city rountes), so you get a better view - though there isn't that much to see on the motorway from London to Bristol anyway.
They might work out a bit cheaper than the train, since one-way train tickets here can get pricey (though check out Family Rail Cards). But there aren't that many one-way bus deals either. And, while there's some super railway station architecture between London and Bristol, our bus stations probably concentrate more mediocre, dismal, buildings than anywhere outside a Moscow housing project.

BTW, if you do end up driving to your hotel, do make sure you get the hotel to email you driving instructions. Unless your Scotland Yard relative has access to, and uses, the Met's detailed building access plans, trust no-one else's instructions.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 03:51 AM

I agree with the general consensus: Do rent the car for both intervals.

If your relatives are feeling very protective/controlling, use those first 2 days' rental car for some practice with one of them as passenger/copilot to play the role of coach, saying "Keep left, keep left," and introducing you to other British customs, including roundabouts (especially if you're from a part of the US that doesn't have such structures).

You might want to consider doing your first car return on the outskirts of London rather than in London itself, as that's the most daunting aspect of the whole driving experience. The second leg, pickup in London and just heading out, is easier, especially as it will be on a weekend.

Yes, an automatic is absolutely essential, especially if you're not accustomed to one. But even drivers who are comfortable with a standard transmission in the US can appreciate the utility of having one less thing to think about whilst adjusting to driving on the other side, etc.

In the final analysis the cost and hassle of the buses for three people probably wouldn't even save you much money over car rental.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 04:48 AM

I think the car rental for the periods you describe sounds like a good idea.

I would avoid going anywhere by bus if you can help it, apart from places like central London. To travel a long distance by bus doesn't make any sense in your situation - you have great car rental rates, you can get pretty much from door-to-door with your car and you can stop where you choose and it will be quicker journey time since the bus is likely to make some stops along the way.

And long bus journeys are not really all that much fun at all.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 05:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bag the bus and only rent the car for 5 days after your London leg of the trip.

Does your husband really think it'll be FUN to schlep a kid and luggage that way or is he just trying to scrimp? Relying on public transport once you get to Cardiff won't be difficult but it will probably restrict what you get to see in the Devon countryside. It's defintely doable but it takes planning and you all only have a few days.

MHO: Don't rent a car for the first two days. You're going to be jetlagged the first and possibly the second day. I've driven frequently in the UK and always avoid it for the first 36 hours. And I never drive in central London unless I absolutely have to. Life is too short to be that stressed out. Yes, I've driven in NYC and it's a different animal.

My suggestion: Let your cousins do the driving day 1 & 2. Take the train into Waterloo which as flanneruk has said is an easy walk to the Marriott County Hall. Tube to Heathrow on the 27th to pick up your car and proceed to Cardiff. The majority of the trip is on the monster M4 which will give you time to adjust to the left side of the road thing. Drop the car off at Gatwick when you're done touring.

One more observation. A car gives you lots more flexibility but the driver doesn't get to see much of the countryside. Less true for the navigator but that person still spends more time with his/her nose buried in the map than at home. After driving around Devon for 10 days last year, my husband and I were grateful to let my uncle take the wheel so we could enjoy the view.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 07:14 AM

I would NOT take a bus. Whether or not you rent a car for the first 2 days depends on where your hotel is located. If it's IN a town where you can walk to shops, restaurants, forget the car. Use relatives for getting back & forth to their house. If the hotel is NOT in a town but sits by itself somewhere, rent the car.

Take a train into London if you don't have a car. Rent a car leaving London. Have FUN but not on a bus .
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 09:12 AM

BTW, a simpler itinerary (assuming you mean Farnborough not Farnsborough which may be a different place) is to proceed directly to London by train from Gatwick. Spend your time in London. Then rent a car leaving London, do your family visit in Farnborough & continue on to Cardiff from there as it's on the way. I realize family obligations may not make this possible though.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 09:28 AM

I think mclaurie's suggestion is a good one if you can do that. I also don't think you should rent the car at the beginning even if you stay in the country. If the family member is going to come to the airport anyway, why not take the opportunity to sit back and relax, get acclimated and have a look around.

Also, I sincerely doubt whether you'll feel like doing much driving the first day, unless you never experience jet lag. I'm sure that first day you'll just want to settle in, go for a walk, maybe have tea with your relative and get to bed early. The next day you can get a taxi or bus if you want to see some sights.

I would never drive into London. Take the train, then cab or tube to your hotel. If you want to see the countryside and stop along the way rent at Heathrow for the trip to Cardiff and Devon. If getting to Cardiff quickly is important, train there, then rent the car for the Devon portion, returning it to Gatwick.

I would use the bus, if you must, for short trips only. Longer than an hour and I think you're much better on the train even without kids.

I would suggest, also, that there is another kind of discussion going on with your husband. If he's looking for a 'cheap' holiday that's sort of wacky and fun (did he never get to backpack through Europe as a young man?) you are going to have lots of other kinds of arguments. I say this from experience. The bus obsession may just be the tip of the iceberg!
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 05:43 PM

I'd take the bus, and cut down on your luggage. The bus is an amazing way to actually be in a place, not just pass thru. I vote bus.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the insight...

we are not taking the bus - I would love to cut down on luggage but I'm not the overpacker. Plus as we are traveling over Christmas we will be bringing along some gifts, etc.

I wish we could adjust our itenary, but we do have friends and relatives schedules to adjust too unfortunately... the ideal/original plan was just as someone suggested, Farnborough on the way to Cardiff etc. but it didn't work out with the people we are visiting..

Thanks again, this is really been a helpful forum.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 08:15 AM

I may be too late, but for what it is worth...

If the relative is that willing to meet you at the airport, I would let him. Then take advantage of the two days with him in an area with less traffic to practice driving on the left.

Keith
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 10:29 AM
JMM

1. Rent a car BUT do not even consider driving in central London (not even to get into the city). Arrange to drop off the first car other than in London - airport maybe ? And once your London stay is done pick up the 2nd car at the airport and head for Wales. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES do you want to be driving a car in central London!!! The outskirts are OK.
You may also want to skip the car for the Farnsborough part of the trip since it is only 2 days.
2. Forget the bus for Wales etc - in your circumstances not worth the hassle and a car just gives you so much more freedom.
My opinion in summary: For Farnsborough - skip the car. For Wales etc rent a car, forget the bus.
However as other posters have said - do what YOU think you will be the most comfortable with.