Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Gelato, Sure...But what Flavor? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/gelato-sure-but-what-flavor-51342/)

Dave Aug 20th, 1999 07:11 PM

Gelato, Sure...But what Flavor?

If I am headed for a once in a lifetime "trip & treat," I would surely like to know, what was your favorite flavor? Do I need to know its name in Italian? Or do I just point? I love chocolate, vanilla swirls (soft ice cream) here at home. Is Gelato hard or soft? <BR> <BR>Thanks for clearing this up for me, <BR>Mr. "C"

pam Aug 20th, 1999 07:25 PM

Gelato is, texture-wise, between American grocery-store ice cream and soft serve from a machine. It is creamier. My favorite flavor is Bacio, chocolate with hazelnut (like Italian Baci candy). You will probably find many fruit flavors you've never imagined. You can get several flavors in one cup or cone. My son like chocolate and limone/lemon together. I got the question, "Solo Bacio?" a lot (Only Bacio?)--I guess a single flavor is an unusual request. Seems like there were pictures of the fruits or other flavoring on the cards in the case. My husband got an extra-large serving when he finally ordered in Italian--the girl told us so! Enjoy!

Robin Aug 21st, 1999 10:33 AM

Try 2 or 3 flavors at once! Most gelaterias have a range of sizes and even with the smaller cup can serve up 2 or 3 choices. I'm a chocolate fiend as well and therefore, almost always have to have a scoop of 'ciocolato' (forgive my spelling). <BR>Dave - what cities will you be visiting in Italy? If Florence is one of your destinations, make a point to try the gelato at 'Vivoli's'. <BR>

Marty Aug 21st, 1999 10:39 AM

Tiramasu! I've had it everywhere I could from Venice to Rome and was never disappointed!

Geoff Aug 21st, 1999 06:29 PM

<BR>To me the texture is a little bit rough like sherbert, yet still definitely ice cream. <BR> <BR>My favorite: mango. <BR> <BR>

Cheryl Z. Aug 21st, 1999 06:33 PM

<BR>why, ciaccolato of course!

tar Aug 22nd, 1999 05:23 AM

Guava! definitely a rare and wonderful thing.

Nancy Aug 22nd, 1999 05:42 AM

I thought the melona and coconut were the best!They only give you a small scoop of each-not like DQ.The only thing that annoyed me about it was that they plopped the scoop right on top so my friend and I had to push it into the cone with our tongues so we would have some with our cone!!!We ate at least 2 a day!!ENJOY!!

Eileen Aug 22nd, 1999 06:04 AM

Tira Misu <BR>Chocolate <BR>Caffe <BR>Mint <BR> <BR>Buon Appetito! <BR>

Robin Aug 22nd, 1999 11:08 AM

Most critical is to look for the sign in the window that tells you the gelato is 'made here' (so you can be sure it's fresh & made on the premises). Now I'm trying to remember what the phrase is in Italian !!! Think it starts, 'producione . . . something' I'm sure another poster will be provide the correct wording. <BR>

Ben N. Gerry Aug 22nd, 1999 08:29 PM

One of my favorite combos was one scoop of 'nocciola' (hazelnut, I think) and one of chocolate. Yes, the scoops are small, that makes it easier to try lots and lots of them! <BR> <BR>I heard that gelato contains egg yolks, to gain its consistency. Haagen Dazs used this trick when the super-premium ice cream craze began in the US about 20 years ago. <BR> <BR>As for 'pointing' at the flavor you want, that might work, but I had success by consulting a pocket dictionary (ahead of time, in the hotel room--I didn't want to do that in public) and memorize things like the words for the flavors you might want to try. Then, while enjoying a stroll, kept repeating to myself: fragola=strawberry! <BR> <BR>It's so much fun, hope you enjoy it!

martha python Aug 23rd, 1999 04:20 AM

"produzione propria" <BR>Banana gelato if it's greyish--that means it's got real bananas, not flavoring. <BR>Coconut <BR>Any form of chocolate--ciocolatto, baci, etc. <BR>Most of the places we went had both the word and a little picture of the flavoring. If you like peach, remember to ask for pess ka, not pesh ay, which is fish)

leechase Aug 23rd, 1999 06:25 AM

<BR>My vote is for chocolate and Lemon....mmmmm. <BR>lee

hamlet Aug 23rd, 1999 06:50 AM

I have a major thing for PISTACHIO ice cream, especially in Italy where it actually tastes like pistachio. In other places pistachio ice cream is usually almond extract, which is good too, but actual pistachio is lots better. I also love the flavor names of gelato such as Zuppa Inglese - I mean what do you expect/get when you order English Soup ice cream?

martha python Aug 23rd, 1999 06:53 AM

I'd expect it to taste like zuppa inglese--which I believe is what the Italians call trifle

martha python Aug 23rd, 1999 06:54 AM

not that I'm obsessed with desserts or anything

Richard Aug 23rd, 1999 09:30 AM

I dream of gelati from Giolitti in Rome! I think its the best in Italy. My favorite flavours are "riso" which has tender bits of Italian rice in it and "Cassata Siciliana" which is Sicilian syle with bits of candied fruit.

Richard Aug 23rd, 1999 09:31 AM

I dream of gelati from Giolitti in Rome! I think its the best in Italy. My favorite flavours are "riso" which has tender bits of Italian rice in it and "Cassata Siciliana" which is Sicilian syle with bits of candied fruit. <BR> <BR>P.S. See my posting called "MY FAVORITE RESTAURANTS IN ROME" for more info....

emmanuelle Aug 23rd, 1999 01:08 PM

Bacio is definately my favorite and then any other kind of chocolate/nut mix like <BR>nutella-flavored gelato, ferrara rocher-flavored gelato. Or try a ciocolatta and pistachio mix. Tiramisu is very very good. In fact ciocolatta or bacio with caffe is excellent too. Amaretto is yummy. I don't like fruit flavors, that's just me. I've heard good things about the limone. Enjoy!

Kristy Aug 23rd, 1999 02:09 PM

Nocciola is really good, but Rizo is my absolute favorite!!! I also remember a gelateria near the Trevi fountain that had an awesome Zabalione flavor - mmmmm....