Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Gelato in Italy: Florence, Rome, Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/gelato-in-italy-florence-rome-venice-882764/)

mrsgo Mar 20th, 2011 05:39 AM

Gelato in Italy: Florence, Rome, Venice

Are there gelato lovers reading this who can guide us to the best gelato places in the 3 main cities?

Thank you!
mrsgo

gwan Mar 20th, 2011 08:30 AM

When I was in Florence I followed a suggestion from an old Lonely Planet that said Gelateria Vivoli was the best in the city. I can't vouch for it being absolutely the best, since I didn't try them all, but it was definitely amazing! It's a bit hard to find, but I made the effort to call back & it's stuck in my mind ever since.
I can't remember where I went in Rome, and I found the gelati in Venice decidedly average (like all the food I had there).

Uma Mar 20th, 2011 10:04 AM

We also enjoyed Vivoli in Florence -- loved their pistachio. In Rome, we liked Giolitti and Il Gelato di San Crispino(get the honey gelato). Try the tartufo at
Tre Scalini in Piazza Navona.

willit Mar 20th, 2011 11:50 AM

I thought the whole point was to try as many as possible and pretend it is research :-)

ggreen Mar 20th, 2011 12:49 PM

Like willit says!! And really, we didn't have any <i>bad</i> gelato during two weeks of daily "research" last spring. :)

That said, Di San Crispino is famous: even their strange flavors like whiskey are wonderful!

Byrd Mar 20th, 2011 01:01 PM

We have loved Giolitti in Rome.

I don't think you can ever run out of flavors to try!

Byrd

lennyba Mar 20th, 2011 02:36 PM

Shamelessly bookmarking. :)

Keren Mar 21st, 2011 05:34 AM

In Venice I loved La Boutique del Gelato in Castello - Salizzada S. Lio 5727 near the church of San Lio. The chocolate was absolutely superb.

In Rome I adore Cremeria Monteforte in Via della Rotonda 22. Facing the Pantheon, it's on the street that runs along the righthand side. I love their the mousse-like semifreddo which comes in various flavours. Perfect taste and texture.

autodidact Mar 21st, 2011 05:41 AM

We liked Gelato Grom in Florence very much. Don't be put off by the fact that it is in a central, touristy, area. Vivoli always seemed to be closed when we were passing!

mjdh1957 Mar 21st, 2011 05:49 AM

I liked Grom as well, it is a chain but a very good quality one.

Though truth be told, I've never had a bad gelato in Italy.

catherinehaas Mar 21st, 2011 06:31 AM

Absolutely without a doubt Giolitti in Rome.

Also in Rome, Il gelato di San Crispino. Go to the one by the Trevi fountain so that you can walk over to the fountain and enjoy both Italian treasures.

Grom in Turin.

We ate gelato everywhere we went. These were the memorable ones but there is truly no bad gelato in Italy. Sample them all.

Delaine Mar 21st, 2011 07:06 AM

I liked Vivoli in Florence as well as Festival del Gelato on Via del Corso near the duomo; it had many many flavors.

Like a previous poster, I always get the tartuffo at Tre Scalini in Piazza Navona in Rome.

tarquin Mar 21st, 2011 07:09 AM

The granita di caffe at La Tazza d'Oro near the Pantheon is very good, as is the smell of roasting coffee wafting out of the shop.

caroline_edinburgh Mar 21st, 2011 07:56 AM

Rome - Sahn Crispino

Venice - San Trovaso, San Stae (especially the prosecco flavour !), also now has Grom

Dukey1 Mar 21st, 2011 07:59 AM

Florence: HIGHLY inflated prices for it

elnap29 Mar 21st, 2011 08:09 AM

bookmarking necessity!

Italyagain Mar 21st, 2011 11:34 AM

I loved every gelato I have had in every city. Its research!

abenedek Mar 21st, 2011 12:22 PM

What a yummy thread!

I haven't been yet (heading to Italy in May - yay!) but my brother's girlfriend insists that we try Perche No (sp?) in Florence.

Has anyone been there?

rineurope Mar 21st, 2011 06:43 PM

In Rome, we've tried TOO many! Here are a few of our suggestions: http://tinyurl.com/rome-gelato

yayoye Mar 21st, 2011 08:52 PM

In Florence, GROM mentioned above is good, but there are now huge lineups there and I think there is gelato which is just as good elsewhere.

Gelateria dei Neri on Via dei Neri - a nice street to wander down between Santa Croce and the Uffizi - this is a very good gelato place

Vivoli is just ok in my opinion - it's on via della vigna vecchia close to Santa croce

Vestri - good for chocolate and gelato - Borgo degli Albizi, 11

Rivareno Gelateria is another really good gelato place on Borgo degli Albizi, 46,

There is another place I like, but don't know the name of - it's in the same little square as the Quattro Leone restaurant - going to Via de' Vellutini should get you there - on the oltrarno side of Florence