Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Gdansk - one day trip from ship to where? Berlin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Pam

Will dock in Gdansk on cruise. What to do for one day trip? Berlin? If so, how should we get there? What to see? On other cruises, when we docked, taxis were waiting to take us on tours. Will this happen in Gdansk? Thanks....

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 06:28 PM
Art

Berlin would be way to far, about a 10 hour drive. Gdansk is suppost to be a nice city to visit, so you might just want to explore it. <BR>Regards, <BR>Art <BR>

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 06:31 PM
Pedro

A friend of mine recently visited Poland and his two highlights were Krakow and Gdansk. It is a hanseatic town full of beautiful merchantīs houses and a huge cathedral. So strolling around the old Town supposedly will be nice.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 08:20 PM
Goldwassertrinker

Gdansk/Danzig and it's environs should offer more than enough of interest to occupy your attention for one day. <BR> <BR>For a reminder of the city's recent past that the locals would rather you not remember, take a stop at this site: <BR>http://www.net2000.com.au/customers/danzig/index.html <BR> <BR>Cheers!

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 04:28 AM
Pam

Thanks for the responses so far. Guess I will visit Gdansk. NOW - what to see, restaurants, how to get around - can I walk everywhere or should I find a tour right off the ship? Thanks again.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 04:51 AM
s.fowler

You'll dock in Gdynia -- whichis the shipyard where Solidarity got its start. The ship should have a shore excursion that will take you to Gdansk and the seaside resort town, Sopot. Gdansk has a gorgeous historic core -- you may also get to see the Solidarity monument. I saw the town in 1985 -before the wall fell-- even then you could see the life in the people's faces vis a vis the former Soviet Union - it should be a lovely thriving city by now! <BR>They also took us to a lovely church for an organ recital. I sat staring at a stunning medieval icon listening.... <BR>I know shore excursions are expensive and they do involve buses and other people -- but in my experience they are more often than not worth it. I think this is one of those cases.