Search

Gay Mykonos

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Edu
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gay Mykonos

I will be in Mykonos for about 5hrs because of a cruise port of call. it will be from 6pm to 11pm. I would like to see paradise beach or super paridise. Probably have dinner in of the two beaches. what do you recommend?
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 06:51 AM

ttt
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 07:10 AM

You might want to take a look at this

http://www.gaymykonos.eu/gayguide/

Some might tell you that Super Paradise has become much too crowded but there is a place there which serves food.

With so little time at and at that time of day you might want to stay in Mykonos Town itself where there are many more eating and partying options.
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:49 AM

I'm of two minds about this. It takes about 30 minutes to get from the cruise port to Super Paradise. If you take a bus/ferry, then it's going to take a bit longer. I'm not sure how late the transit options run. I guess you might be able to rent a scooter or car, but I'm not sure you could return it at 10pm.

For myself, I'd probably just watch the sunset at one of the bars in Little Venice and then have dinner at Kounelas, a nice gay-owned restaurant near the main promenade where you can get fish or steak relatively reasonably by the kilo.

The beaches may be busy at night, but I don't know if there's always a nighttime party going on, and the food is pretty mediocre and awfully expensive.
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:21 AM

Doug_Stallings- are you a real Fodor's editor? Just curious. If so, you are free to answer threads? I see you have replied to many. This is a wonderful site and I use it for every trip. Thank you for having it and helping it to grow. Loads of informative folks who have been there explaining about area, answering your question. Better than any travel agent!
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:31 AM

Yes, I'm a real editor here. But we have a general rule that we're only allowed to respond to threads for places we cover as part of our editorial oversight (for me that's the Caribbean, much of Eastern Europe, and Cruising) or places that we've been to and can speak about through personal experience.

So I end up responding to alot of threads about New York and for other places I actually travel to in my private life. I've been to Greece for the last two years in row (Mykonos, Athens, Santorini), so I feel I have something to offer here, though certainly no more than any other Fodor's forum poster. Regrettably, I won't be going back to Greece this summer (way too expensive). I'm doing the Philippines in September, so you may see me pop up in the Asia forum in the fall.
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:19 AM

Doug Stallings,

Mr. Theo... , the owner of Kounelas taverna, will be glad to hear that he is gay. And so will his wife, his son Y. and his daughter I. As an editor you should double-check your statements. You are not sure, you guess, again not sure and then you donßt nof if...
You need an update.
Gaspard
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:21 AM

read:
don't know if ...
G.
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:22 AM

Well, I personally met and spoke to who I thought to be the owners of the restaurant when I ate there last May (twice), and they told my friends and I that they were a couple (two men and couple to me mean gay). There might have been a language barrier, so there's always the chance of a misunderstanding. They also fly the gay flag outside, so if I jumped to some conclusions, I apologize.
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:26 PM

Doug Stallings- thank you for your insights in places you travel to. I have been using this forum for my trip to France and Italy with family this August.

From what you said I believe you are right about the Greek gentleman owner being gay. As a New Yorker, I can usually tell gay men. I have worked with them, nice and so creative. It was a pleasure in the marketing company we were employed in.
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:36 PM

Gaspard, it sounds like there may be a disagreement of "generations" of owners. I think the "owner" you are speaking of may no longer be in the picture according to the article linked below, but the son (Yannis) and the daughter (Irene) now run the restaurant. Perhaps this son who would now call himself an owner of the restaurant has a partner and that is whom Doug met? Just a thought.

http://www.mykonostour.com/english/r.../kounelas.html
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:00 PM

That's possible. For the past two years, it's been the same two men running the dining room and the same woman weighing your fish and meat choices downstairs. I guess it doesn't really matter because the food is so good and so reasonably priced. For me, that's the thing. There are a lot of good restaurants in Mykonos, though.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 10:54 PM

Hi,

I found on lulu.com a travel guide on Mykonos to load on my Iphone. Very good for all great places in Mykonos Island including all the beaches and the best entertainment.
You might want to take a look at this:
http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/my...shelf/center/1

Enjoy the parties in Mykonos.
James
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 05:54 AM

Can someone explain why anyone would come here, search out a three year old thread and then register and post just to tout a website?
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 05:56 AM

I'd guess it's because he is the marketing person for lulu.com.
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 06:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, the whole thing is rather amusing, especially the part about assuming just because someone has a wife and kids they don't engage in any kind of homosexual sex.
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 10:18 AM

Dukey, what I find amusing is your assuming that Gaspard doesn't know the family personally. Gaspard no longer posts on this forum, but has been a frequent visitor to Mykonos for decades, with many friends on the island.