Gatwick to Paddington car service

Apr 11th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Gatwick to Paddington car service

Any leads on a car service or cab from Gatwick to Paddington. I want to avoid the train/tube connections with two kids in tow.
Any idea on cost and how long the trip would take on a Weds morning around 9am
THANKS!
Apr 11th, 2007, 01:02 PM

Justairports website says £38-55, depending on size (look up W2).

Allow two hours from the time the car leaves LGW car park (by no means instantaneous)

The truth is, there isn't a painless public transport alternative. But are two kids really going to be painless in a car, in unmoving traffic, for two hours either?

They can at least run round the Southern train to Victoria. And the black cab to Paddington will be more spacious than the justairports car
Apr 11th, 2007, 01:03 PM

hi, dendleju,

if you look at www.londontoolkit.com, you'll find a number of sugggestions for transfer ffrom Gatwick to Paddington. you really have two options- train to Victoria then cab [I agree that with te htwo kids, the underground is out] or a cab all the way.

the phone numbers of local taxi firms are shown on the web-site.

If you cab all the way, it's about an hour from Gatwick to the edge of london, then allow another hour to get to Paddington.

If you use the train, you might get away with 90 minutes.

good luck!

regards, ann
Apr 11th, 2007, 01:04 PM

The Gatwick Express to Victoria from Gatwick is a roomy train that is no pain - goes every few minutes and then get a cab from Victoria is an easy way even for folks in your situation.
Apr 11th, 2007, 01:04 PM

hi, again,

I was posting at the same time as Flanneruk - looks like we agree with each other, anyway.

regards, ann
Apr 11th, 2007, 01:33 PM

A car service w/ 2 kids would be deadly IMHO. 2 hours if you are very lucky.

The Gatwick express could not be easier. Roomy cars and seats facing each other across tables. Kids would probably get a kick out of it. Then from arrival at Victoria it is a level walk out to the taxi stand.

You would be at Paddington at least an hour faster
Apr 14th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Great. One of the things I could not recall was transfer at Victoria, but sounds like the access to and Availability of cabs is regarded as relicable so we may try that. The other is to train it from Gatwick to Reading then schange onto a train to the South west. Thoughts on that?
Apr 14th, 2007, 08:58 AM

You are considering taking a train from LGW to Reading and then another train back to Paddington??

Nope - train to Victoria, cab to Paddington is the fastest and easiest.
Apr 14th, 2007, 09:01 AM

What are you trying to do?

If you're suggesting getting a train to Paddington via Reading - well that's original.

If you want to get to Poole or Weymouth, there are direct buses from Gatwick, or in many cases it's better changing at Guildford than Reading.

If you want to get to Bath or Bristol, of course you should get the train to Reading and change. Everyone who's replied assumed you were heading for a Paddington hotel.
Apr 14th, 2007, 09:01 AM

Oh, oops - Now I see you mean a train from Reading to the southwest of England.

Yes, that would be better than going into London - as long as you aren't wanting stop in London for anything. The fewer transfers and hassles the better. Take a train to Reading and then on to Devon/Cornwall or wherever . . .
Apr 14th, 2007, 09:03 AM

I was posting the same time as flanner.

Yes - where is your final destination?? There may be other options than the train - and other stations than Reading.
Apr 16th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Parents live in North Devon, Bideford
Am planning on taking train to Tiverton Parkway, since it appears I only change at Reading, then can be picked up there.
Anyone have knowledge of how reliable these services are punctuality-wise?
THANKS!
Apr 16th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Trains in Britain are often late but there are so many trains, at least hourly on these routes, that it doesn't matter - they will reliably get you there. But you may change at Reading at say 10am and the first train coming in may be the 'delayed 9am' train - so what yes they are dependable in that there should be a train within an hour at least to any destination, though the exact timetable may be hypothetical.
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:48 PM

hi, dendleju,

You lucky thing - north devon is one of my favourite places.

Have you been before? if not, I've got a few ideas!

regards, ann
Apr 18th, 2007, 04:10 PM

Which trains are you talking about?

Westbound trains from Reading are relatively rarely late: unless something spectacular goes wrong, it's unusual for them to be more than 5 mins or so off. Delays build up later, especially round Didcot, but whoever's picking you up can just go onto the nationalrail.co.uk site, check the train's punctuality and amend what time they leave home accordingly.

The problem is the Gatwick-Reading train, which crosses lots of other lines and can be late (though the Gatwick-Reading train NEVER takes longer than getting a car into town, then getting a train). In theory, since they're both operated by First Great Western, you don't have a problem, if you're booked a cheapo, with the ticket collector on the ongoing train refusing to accept your ticket.

That doesn't help you much though since the direct trains aren't hourly midmorning. But there are reasonable connections at Bristol if all goes wrong.