Gatwick to London - Traffic?

Apr 8th, 2002, 04:13 AM
anna

Gatwick to London - Traffic?

My package includes ground transportation between Gatwick Airport to Park Lane Hotel. I have heard that traffic can cause 2 to 3 hour delays on road between airport and city. Is this true? Would it be better to take Gatwick Express? Thank you

Apr 8th, 2002, 04:40 AM
Keith Legg

It's possible, depending on the time of your flight - I live near Gatwick (but closer in to London) and it has taken me an hour and more to get to central London during rush hour. On the other hand, if your flight arrives in the middle of the night, it should only take 3/4 hr to an hour at most.

My initial thought is that if you have paid for the transfer you might as well use it. If you're like me though, and will do anything to avoid getting on a coach or bus, then the Gatwick Express is a quick option. If time really isn't a factor, then you could take one of the Connex trains into London Victoria (some only have one stop between Gatwick and Victoria.)

Apr 8th, 2002, 05:33 AM
sandy c

hi anna,

the time from gatwick to central london like the previous poster said can differ. if you are arriving at 7am in the morning you are going to hit rush hour traffic entering london. if your luggage is light, i would opt to take the train into london. if not, take the transfer and snooze. most checkins are not before 10 or 11 and you can't beat being delivered to your hotel doorstep.

sandy c

Apr 9th, 2002, 05:41 AM
DG

If your ground transportation is something like Hotellink it will stop at many, many hotels and it may take hours to arrive at your hotel. We did that once and never again! We just got back from London on Sat. and we used the Gatwick Express both ways to Victoria and then got a cab to our Mayfair hotel. It was very quick and easy. We'd never use anything else again. No traffic jams, no hassle.

Apr 9th, 2002, 06:58 PM
brezzy

I have ground transpotation back to gatwick If I leave at 5am in the morning will it still take 2 hours to get there if so i will not take it even thu its included