Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Gatwick to London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/gatwick-to-london-86044/)

Bob M. Sep 10th, 2000 02:31 PM

Gatwick to London

We are flying to London on Continental. The flight will arrive at Gatwick late evening next Saturday. It seems that the best way to get to London is by train. Are there any other better options? We will have a lot of luggage and the thought of train stations late at night leaves us cold. Any bus service or van service? How expense will a taxi ride be? Thanks for the help.

Dave Sep 10th, 2000 03:04 PM

Bob, <BR> <BR>I'll give you an answer just in case, although I've always taken public transport to/from Gatwick. Perhaps someone else who is better qualified will also chip in. <BR> <BR>Gatwick is a LONG way from central London (~30 miles). According to several guidebooks, a black taxi from Gatwick to central London will cost at least 50GBP (80GBP according to Fodors). A minicab should be somewhat cheaper, but that's even further beyond my experience. <BR> <BR>"Let's Go" lists a private chauffeur service, Airport Transfers (tel 403 2228), which offers a flat rate (~50GBP) from Gatwick to Central London. <BR> <BR>The Gatwick Express train to Victoria station takes about 30min and costs about 10GPB one-way. As train stations go, Victoria is pretty classy. At least when I was there last it was fairly clean, busy, and vagrant-free. Of course, I might have just been lucky and/or clueless. <BR> <BR>Dave <BR> <BR>----------------------- <BR>PS: There is also some info on the Gatwick website (www.baa.co.uk), then select "Gatwick/Getting Here". Bottom line is that "Gatwick Airport Cars" can be hired for 1.39GBP/mile. <BR>

sam Sep 10th, 2000 03:27 PM

Take the train. It is very safe as all trains in London. It drops you off at Victoria and has plenty of room for bags in the car. There are also carts in the airport. Take the train, relax and save a fortune.

Kathy Sep 10th, 2000 04:50 PM

Take the Gatwick Express. We did it with four kids, each of us with our own suitcase. There is plenty of space for luggage. You can get on the train and buy your ticket on board, so you don't even need to stand in line. A taxi is easy to get at Victoria Station. One of our taxi drivers told us they could not match the price of the Gatwick Express for transportation into London.

Debbie Sep 10th, 2000 08:39 PM

Ditto on the Gatwick Express - I took it with my mother 2 years ago , and was it nice not to have to think about getting into London. Hop on the train and go. <BR> <BR>P.S. If your hotel is nearer to Kensington station, look into the other train service ( depending on running schedule) Gatwick only goes to Victoria Station. <BR> <BR>check out www.a2bairports.com/gatwick.shtml for more info

Lori Sep 11th, 2000 08:09 AM

The Gatwick Express train into Victoria really is quite OK, you can take a cab to your hotel from Victoria. The other alternative is to arrange for a driver service to pick you up (let them know ahead of time you have lots of luggage tho, it determines the size of the car). If therre are several of you this is the very best alternative. We use services from Heathrow and it's really the most civilized way to get into London when you have luggage and jet lag to contend with. There are several companies and they offer a flat fee service, about 50 pounds I believe from Gatwick. Check chauffer.co.uk and London Transport. They meet you outside of immigration with a sign with your name on it. It's door to door which is what we like, no hauling luggage on and off trains and no worrying about anything really.

David White Sep 12th, 2000 09:24 AM

Bob, <BR> <BR>One more vote for the Gatwick Express. <BR> <BR>As a bonus, if you are arriving late at night, you just purchase your tickets on the train. Could not be easier. <BR> <BR>What may NOT be easy is the fuel protest that is going on in the UK right now. Check the posting on this subject elsewhere on this bulletin board. One would hope there is some resolution before the weekend... <BR> <BR>Good luck <BR> <BR>David White <BR> <BR>www.KidsToLondon.com <BR> <BR>

Janice Sep 12th, 2000 03:55 PM

My final destination from Gatwick will be the Grosvenor House. Would the Gatwick Express be the best train to take or would I be better off going to Kensington Station??

claire Aug 31st, 2002 06:18 AM

My final destination from Gatwick is the Country Travel Inn (across Waterloo) station. What is the best mode of transportation (with minimal luggage)? Thank you.

Nigel Doran Aug 31st, 2002 01:08 PM

It depends how many people there are in your party. Three or more, and a taxi that you have prebooked might be best. Look at the above postings, and others on the subject. <BR>If you decide to get the train, you will either end up getting a taxi from Victoria to your final destination or getting a Tube to the nearest place, which is Waterloo. However, Westminster station is just a short walk away too, and it fits in better with Victoria for Tube connections. Get the District or Circle line from Victoria to Westminster (it is a newly revamped station, so has lots of space and good escalators/lifts). You just then walk across the bridge, with the Houses of Parliament all lit up behind you and the Thames beneath your feet! <BR>Ask whether your Victoria Express ticket can be amended to add on the price of a Tube trip. If not, get your tickets at Victoria. (Have nice, crisp ten pound notes or your credit card for speed.) One final thought - leave as much luggage at home. Whether you are going to use the train or a car, less luggage is better.

Ben Haines Aug 31st, 2002 05:41 PM

You can buy your ticket at a window in Gatwick station or avoid the queue (line) by buying from a machine. Thameslink trains leave Gatwick station every 15 minutes and take half an hour to London Bridge. There you leave Thameslink, and wait on the same platform (platform 6) for the Connex South eastern train in a few minutes to Waterloo East. You pick up a free luggage trolley and wheel it via the footbridge and lift to Waterloo main line station, turn right and wheel it to another lift and down to the empty Waterloo International station, turn left and wheel it to York Road. There you leave the station so must abandon the trolley, but the walk to County Hall Travellers Inn is five or ten minutes. No view of the river, I fear, but a shorter walk than from Westminster, and no stairs.<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London.<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR><BR>

claire Sep 1st, 2002 09:31 AM

Thanks Nigel and Ben. If I just take a cab from Victoria Station to Country Travel Inn (across Waterloo), can you give me an idea on how the cab fare will be? Thanks.

xxx Sep 1st, 2002 09:46 AM

claire, didn't you post these questions on another thread? If you look for that one I think you have several other answers.