Reload this Page >

Gatwick to London

Search

Gatwick to London

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Harrell

Gatwick to London

We are going to London next week and need to know the best inexpensive way with least hassle for 3 adults to get to London (directly to hotel or Victoria Station). We would be traveling roundtrip, <BR>I have reseached somewhat but need to hear from someone that has "been there and done that". Thanks

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Julie

Harrell, <BR> <BR>I've always felt the Gatwick Express which goes directly into Victoria Station is the quickest and most inexpensive way to get into London (30 mins, I believe). However, depending on number of bags and since there are 3 of you, you might consider a cab. I have no idea how much that might cost and you have to consider that Gatwick is further out than Heathrow. If your hotel is in London central, why not stick to the Express and then catch a cab at Victoria Station? Coming from Gatwick, that's always worked best for me. Maybe some other people on this site will have other suggestions.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Gregory

Hi, <BR> <BR>I think a taxi from Gatwick to central london is about £45 each way ( £90 total plus tip). However, if you get stuck in traffic it could cost more. <BR> <BR>Gatwick express tickets are around £17 return ( valid for 1 month :£10 single) <BR>see: www.gatwickexpress.co.uk <BR> <BR>Have a great time in London

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 12:04 PM
Lori

For 3 of you it would be far more practical to use the services of a car hire company .. we have had great success with Ray Skinner's company, www.London-transfers.com. They meet you as you exit immigration holding a sign with your name on it and take you right to your hotel. No dragging luggage on and off trains and no getting a cab when you come into Victoria Sta. as you would do if you used the Gatwick Express. It's so much more convenient and civilized when you have jetlag to be met this way and transported in comfort door to door. <BR>We've only used them from Heathrow and I know rates are higher from Gatwick but even with the tip it is well worth it for 3 people. Last time we used them (in the Spring) we rode in new Toyota Previa vans - very nice and very comfortable. Drivers were excellent and very nice (we had Ray on one trip too).You can e-mail Ray and get add'l info, rates are on his website.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 12:06 PM
Lori

I forgot to say car hire companies are a FLAT fee - you do not pay extra if you are stuck in traffic.

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 02:03 PM
Harrell

Wanted to let everyone know that we just returned from London. We took Lori's advice and used Ray Skinner's service.(www.london-transfers.com) for rountrip transfer from Gatwick to hotel in central London. The service was absolutely great and definitely reduced the stress level for a 1st time visitor.

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 02:21 PM
Lori

I've tried to post this a couple of times, Fodor's must be having problems.<BR>Anyway, Harrell, I'm glad you enjoyed the driver pick up service Ray Skinner's company provides. We've used others but found him to be the best. Thanks for posting your comments, I wish more people would take the time to do so when people/places are recommended to them. I hope the rest of your trip was stress free too

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 06:50 PM
bettyk

Harrell, could you tell me the cost of Ray Skinner's car service from Gatwick? We're going there next spring.<BR>Thanks.

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 06:26 AM
Lori

Betty, <BR>Check out Ray Skinner's website at www.london-transfers.com. I think it is about 50 pounds for 2 people from Gatwick. We've used them from Heathrow which is less. We'll be in London in the spring too - it's a great time to be there, the tulips and other flowers are blooming and the weather is generally pleasant.

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 07:07 AM
john

I almost agree with the above - but I think the cheapest way would be on the Thameslink to Kings Cross or Waterloo Station (I think its Waterloo). Anyway, to King's Cross would cost you &pound;10 each and takes about 50 minutes.<BR><BR>Of course, depending on how much luggage you have, it might be easier to do a car hire.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.<BR><BR>John<BR>London Travelogues at www.appleberryroad.com

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 05:56 PM
bettyk

Thanks, Lori. For 4 people, it's probably cheaper and easier to use Ray Skinner than a taxi or train.

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 07:57 PM
sandy c(new bern)

hi harrell,<BR><BR>i second lori's recommendation of ray skinner and company. he is an absolute treasure. we actually had himself drive us back and forth from the airport and also for our day trip service to go to bath and stonehenge.<BR><BR>for three people it should be much less, but we paid 69 pds for 5 people from the airport. had a wonderfully comfortable minivan and was delivered right to our hotel door. the return trip was about 64 pds. but this was for 5 people. i think 3 people are 49pds from gatwick. the driver meets you inside the airport and helps you with your luggage. while the drive is longer in time than the express train, we got to see some wonderful countryside that morning!<BR><BR>mr. skinner is absolutely a doll! he was a wealth of information and has been in the business quite a while. we hired him and his minivan for our our day trip. he took us to Bath for about 3 hours and then thru some wonderful english countryside. had lunch at the red lion an absolute gem of an english pub. (their lunch was delicious) and then on to stonehenge. after a long day i would have thought he would be more than ready to let this group of 5 crazy women off at their hotel, but he was absolutely wonderful and took us to three or four sites in london and then to one of the oldest pubs on the waterfront for dinner. <BR><BR>mr. skinner was a wonderfully charming and interesting man! and a supurb driver! it was a personal tour of the english countryside with your own private tour guide.<BR><BR>(and let me tell you, when a man stops for rest stop every hour or so, you know he knows his job!(grin)).<BR><BR>check out:<BR><BR>http://www.london-transfers.com/<BR><BR>

Old Nov 17th, 2001, 06:49 AM
bettyk

Sandy, if you don't mind me asking, what was the cost of your day trip to Bath with Ray Skinner? Sounds like a great way to go.

Old Nov 17th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Lori

Sandy, You and I sound like a Ray Skinner fan club!! He drove us to Heathrow in April and we had a wonderful time talking with him. He worked for British Airways for years and I worked for Boeing so we had airplanes in common too! He's a great guy, you cannot go wrong with him. His employees are all really nice people too. Sounds like you had a grand time in the countryside. We've done that area on our own (rental car) and loved it.