Gatwick to Kensington

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Prince

Gatwick to Kensington

We arrive at Gatwick at 9am Saturday. Any suggestions on getting to our Kensington hotel? Will we need British currency from the start?

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 08:36 PM
janis

British Currency? - just get some cash from an ATM machine in the arrivals hall at Gatwick.

Best way to Kensington? Well that depends on where you are staying. Near High street Kens., or S. Kens. or Glouscester Rd, or Earls court or??? Take the Gatwick express to Victoria station. it leave right from the terminal and arrives at Victoria station 30 mins later. Couldn't be easier. Once you are at Victoria you can either take the tube (cheap but you have to lug your bags) or catch cab from the taxi rank right outside the station - probably less than £10 for the cab unless you are in far western Kensington.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 02:10 AM
Suzy

If there are 3 or 4 people in your party, you might find it cost-effective to hire a private car, which will pick you up as you come out of customs, help with your luggage and take you right to the door of your hotel. A welcome treat after a tiring flight! I use Ray's London Transfers, I believe their we site is www.london-transfers.com

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Jen

We used the Hotelink shuttle in February from Gatwick to our hotel in Kensington, and we were pleased with it: https://secure.fast.net.uk/hotelink/details.html. They meet downstairs in Gatwick & it takes about an hour each way. If you have lots of luggage, I think it's far preferable to the train/Tube method. It's 22 pounds/person, which for one person is better than a taxi, but for two or more, it might be cheaper to go by taxi. There's an ATM in Gatwick, which makes it fairly easy to get currency once you get there. I'm always more comfortable having some from the start.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Lori

We've always used a driver pick up sevice (www.london-transfers.com) and it works wonderfully. Tell them Lori recommended them if you do this. If there are 2 or more of you it's really worthwhile not to have to drag luggage on and off trains, etc. when you have jetlag. Otherwise, take the Gatwick Express (you can't miss signs) to Victoria Sta. and then take a cab.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Lori

Forgot to say, I always order some British pounds ahead of time from my bank (yes, there is a service fee, but we find it more convenient then looking for the ATM at the airport). You can get pounds at the airport ATM but I'm a worried (like it could be not working) so I like to have them in advance.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Suzy

Lori, I can tell you from experience that if you don't go to the ATM at the airport, Ray's driver will gladly pull over at one that's nearer to your destination!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Lori

Yes, Suzy, I know that! We've gotten to know Ray fairly well and he (and drivers) are very accommodating folks!
We just like having some money in hand when we get there, just our personal quirk you might say. They really are the best of the driver/pickup companies I think. (I've kidded Ray about starting a fan club

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:11 PM
xxx

tell me please! Is anyone else totally tired of Lori's self-serving 'BE SURE TO TELL RAY LORI RECOMMENDED YOU?' We all know you recommend them because you do it so often.

Lori, honey - IF you do not get feebies from Mr Skinner why on earth to tell 20 people a day to mention your name to him?

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Ben Haines

If you emerge from the airport system about 0920 or 1020 you can buy a ticket direct from Gatwick at 0937 or 1037 to Kensington Olympia at 1012 and hourly. Then you’ve a choice. Best might well be for one of you to stand by your bags while the other walks 100 yards to the main road and flags down a taxi. There are no stairs between your arrival platform and the roadside. Less good would be to take the next District Line train to Kensington High Street, or (with a cross-platform change at Earls Court) to Gloucester Road or South Kensington, but all those underground stations have short flights of stairs up to the street.

Welcome to London

Ben Haines, in Riga