Gatwick to Eurostar - how much time?

Mar 5th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Beth

Gatwick to Eurostar - how much time?

Our flight lands at Gatwick at 8:15 am. We then are taking the Eurostar to Paris for a couple of days (eventually returning for a few days in London). Barring a long delay with the flight, will I be OK reserving seats on the 11:43 Eurostar, or would it be safer to book the 12:43? I'm thinking an hour at Gatwick to get off the plane, get bags, find the Gatwick Express, and then apparently the Gatwick Express takes about 1/2 hour to reach Victoria Station.
Thanks for any advice.

Mar 5th, 2002, 09:16 AM
s.fowler

That should be ample -- it would depend on 2 additional factors -- how often the Gatwick-Victoria trains run and how long it takes you to get from Victoria to Waterloo Station. [The tube would involve a change at Westminister] If I weren't travelling 1st class on the Eurostar I'd probably opt for the later train with a brief stop for lunch at someplace like Prêt à Manger.

Mar 5th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Ron

A quicker and cheaper option would be to take a South Central train to Clapham Junction, changing there to a South Western train into Waterloo. WARNING if you are luggage-laden: There may be stairs to negotiate at Clapham Junction.

Mar 5th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Lori

Because things do happen I'd book the 12:43 Eurostar. Others may disagree but you never know what can hold you up and I'm all for having extra time "just in case". If you find you have extra time have lunch at Victoria Station, you'll do better there food wise then on Eurostar unless you are 1st class. You also may want a few minutes to freshen up before the train tide as well. Restrooms on moving trains are not all that much fun!

Mar 5th, 2002, 01:01 PM
David

Beth

I would go for the later train it'll save your blood pressure in the long run. If you get to Waterloo early you can always relax, sit and have a coffee. Another option is to take the Thameslink train from Gatwick to London Bridge Station and change onto a train for Waterloo East Station (which is connected to Waterloo mainline and Eurostar). The journey from Gatwick to London Bridge takes 30 minutes and from London Bridge to Waterloo takes 6 minutes with trains every 3 minutes. Luckly the Thameslink trains and Waterloo trains both depart from the same platform no.6 at London Bridge.

Mar 20th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Beth

Thanks for the advice. Would the tickets for either the Thameslink or South Central trains need to be booked in advance or just on the morning we arrive in London?

Mar 20th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Andre

Beth:

Can't you get a cheap flight from Gatwick to Paris?

If not, I would recommend Thameslink to London Bridge & the underground rather than the Gatwick Express.Don't know about the South Central / South Western lines.

No advance bookings needed (or possible) for Thameslink. Last time I landed in Gatwick there was a ticket counter for Thameslink right in the bagage claim area, before customs - perhaps they also handle the other train operators. No wait, very helpful staff.

Thameslink is definitely a better deal than Gatwick Express. It's much cheaper, fast, frequent and pretty clean.
www.thameslink.co.uk

BTW, eastbound transatlantic redeyes generally arrive on time or early thanks to tailwinds. But you never now...

Hope this helps.
Andre