Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Gatwick to Central London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/gatwick-to-central-london-681322/)

rwhitlocksmith Feb 19th, 2007 05:42 PM

Gatwick to Central London

I'm meeting my sister in London in March. We are flying into separate airports---she's coming into Heathrow and I'm flying into Gatwick. We're meeting at our hotel, the Grange Holborn on Southampton Row. It's near the Holborn and Russell Square tube stations and the Euston and King's Cross Railway stations. It's my first time in London, and I'll be traveling with two small suitcases (one rolling, one carry-on)or one big suitcase. I'll be arriving at 7 am on a Tuesday morning. I'll probably be off the plane and through customs within an hour or two.

Thanks to these boards and the National Rail web-site, it looks like I've got a couple of options to get to our hotel:

1. Take the Gatwick Express (using the 50% off code) to Victoria Station. Walk 8 mins. to the Victoria Bus Station. Take Bus 38 to the Bloomsbury Square stop and walk 3 mins. to the hotel. That seems like a lot of walking with suitcases and during crowded rush hour streets, especially when I'm new to the city.

2. Take Gatwick Express to Victoria Station. Take a taxi to my hotel. Would it be a problem catching a taxi during rush hour at this station? How far is it to the hotel and would it be expensive?

3. Take the Southern train to London Bridge. Take a taxi to the hotel.

4. Take the Thameslink train to London Bridge, Blackfriars or King's Cross. Cab it to the hotel from London Bridge or Blackfriars? Or does the train travel directly to King's Cross? Is this the same King's Cross station close to my hotel? Can I walk from there to the hotel?

I know there are a lot of threads with similar questions but I'm still having trouble with all the options and geographies.

Thanks!
Robin

JudyC Feb 19th, 2007 06:38 PM

If your luggage not too havey, to me, Gatwich Express and Bus #38 will be the easiest way, as no stair to go up and down. The bus stop is right in front of Victoria Station, very easy to find.

However, if expense is not an issue (taxi in rush hour could be expensive), certainly Express + Taxi will be more comfortable.

Carolina Feb 19th, 2007 08:20 PM

It really does depend on what time you land and how long it takes you to get through the airport. Also, it depends on your budget. If funds allow, I would arrange for a minicab to meet your flight and take you directly to the hotel. I think this costs about 50 pounds.

Carolena

flybob Feb 19th, 2007 08:35 PM

Southern REgion train from Gatwick to Victoria - cheaper than GE. Taxi rank outside station to your hotel - about£14

cassius Feb 20th, 2007 09:33 AM

Train to Kings Cross Thameslink, short walk to Kings Cross mainline station then one stop on the tube to Russell Square OR number 91 bus which stops on Southampton Row OR a short ride in a black cab from KX to Bloomsbury will cost very little.

PalenQ Feb 20th, 2007 09:50 AM

As an update Thameslink trains have changed their name i think to First Capitol One - same lousy trains but new name on outside. I too think the train to King Cross Thameslink or the St. Paul/City stops would be best for you and cheaper than other routes perhaps. Gatwick Express and others often offer a 2 for 1 ticket scheme so ask.

PatrickLondon Feb 20th, 2007 01:05 PM

From King's Cross Thameslink you would have to walk across main roads about 100 yards to pick up the 91, which should pass your hotel.

From City Thameslink (Holborn exit, NOT the Ludgate exit), you could take a number of buses to Holborn station and walk up Southampton Row however far it is to your hotel.

These would be quicker than getting a bus all the way from Victoria or London Bridge. But in either case you'd be advised to take your time at the airport to make sure you're not hitting the rush hour. And if the walk from Bloomsbury Square seems a bit daunting, maybe neither of these options would suit.

A compromise might be to get a taxi from City Thameslink. There should be plenty around at King's Cross but there will be plenty of people with the same idea, and outside the Thameslink station is a busy junction where traffic might make getting a taxi a fraught business. The journey from City Thameslink would be much shorter than from either Victoria or London Bridge.

rwhitlocksmith Feb 20th, 2007 01:20 PM

Thank you for all of your responses! It looks like the Thameslink train would be my best bet. Any concerns about trying to take it at rush hour? Problems with getting a seat or managing luggage? Thanks again!

PalenQ Feb 21st, 2007 06:30 AM

Yes when i've ridden it at rush hour it's usually mobbed but if boarding at Gatwick there may still be ample empty seats. Not as convenient with lots of luggage as specially equipped Gatwick Express, which you still may want to consider to Victoria then taxi to hotel for the most seamless with luggage way to go it seems.