Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Gatwick or Stansted via train from Wimbledon area? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/gatwick-or-stansted-via-train-from-wimbledon-area-173996/)

ilovelabs2003 Jan 3rd, 2005 01:44 PM

Gatwick or Stansted via train from Wimbledon area?

Our plans have changed slightly. We have decided to extend our stay in London three nights and take a later flight to Shannon on the 3rd of July. We will still get into Dingle at a decent hour, however. Now I have a new question.

One of my college friends (who will also be attending the wedding in Ireland) is flying into London on the 2nd to visit relatives before the wedding and has offered her cousin's home for us for that night, our last in London (she will be there of course). Her cousin lives within walking distance of Wimbledon.

Now, here is my question: is it easier/quicker to get to Gatwick or Stansted via train from this area? There are two flights on Ryanair from both airports at around the same time (Std-2:40, Gatwick-3:00) on the 3rd. We cannot tell on a map which is more convenient. Can anyone help us out so we can make our reservations?

TIA!

PalQ Jan 3rd, 2005 03:27 PM

Gatwick is much much closer and quicker. From Wimbeldeon tube to Victoria station and then 25-minute Gatwick Express from there. Standsted? Much longer tube ride to Kings Cross and then 50-min train ride. I guess overall not all that much more a hassle but longer.

janis Jan 3rd, 2005 04:13 PM

If your college friend is also flying to Ireland on the same flight, I would call a car service/mini cab and have them drive you from Winbledon to LGW. My guess it would run about £35 or £40. Maybe even less.

Otherwise - ther are other stations much nearer Wimbledon where you can catch trains to LGW w/o having to go all the way into Victoria. Not knowing exactly where you'll be staying, I don't know which would be most convenient. But a short cab or mini cab ride to a nearby station would be an easy way to do it.

definitely avoid Stansted . . . .

PalQ Jan 3rd, 2005 04:53 PM

Yes there are Gatwick trains perhaps from stations in Wimbledon vicinity but these non-Gatwick Express trains can be cattle cars at times, with luggage a struggle. I've been on Thameslink trains from Gatwick to London and even though i had first class pass people were standing and very mobbed. Most seemless scenario for Gatwick for you: Cab it to Victoria and hop plush baggage-oriented Gatwick Express from there to airport; a plus on some flights is that you can check in at Victoria for your flight and get rid of your baggage (though terrorism threats may make this service unavailable like it was).

janis Jan 3rd, 2005 06:32 PM

OK - now I'm really confused. Why do you recommend taking a cab all the way to Victoria and then taking the Express? The cab ride plus train fares would cost more that just taking a cab to LGW. A cab from Wimbledon to Victoria could cost as much as £40, probably more.

flanneruk Jan 3rd, 2005 11:29 PM

It's years since Victoria check-in was abolished. The airlines got stingy about it way before America discovered terrorism, and BA actually kept the Victoria check-in going back when terrorism was a daily reality in Britain.

Get the tram* from Wimbledon to East Croydon (20-odd mins), then the Southern Railways train to Gatwick (another 20 mins). This train can be horrible at rush hour: but it's plain silly to turn up your nose at it in the middle of the day.

For tram timetables see www.tfl.gov.uk/trams/maps/timetables/12MF.xls

*My apologies if you know this already. But "tram" in English doesn't mean a silly minitrain in a tourist attraction. It means a high-tech, fast, surface light railway.

ilovelabs2003 Jan 4th, 2005 03:48 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will go with flanneruk's plan. Gatwick seems to be the way to go!

David_London Jan 4th, 2005 04:48 AM

Another option would be to take the train from Wimbledon Station to Clapham Junction and change there to a Gatwick bound train. Journey time of around 45 minutes in total.

PalQ Jan 4th, 2005 06:58 AM

If you want to take bags on the potentially crowded tram and then have to change from tram to train, not a seamless connection as tram lets you out on the street and i believe a walk through a crowded shopping mall to a potentially crowded train.

ilovelabs2003 Jan 4th, 2005 03:37 PM

Well, the plans may be changing again!

My college friend's mom MAY be vacationing with them, along with her boyufriend. If that happens, we will be staying in the city that night since the house will be too full! We still want to fly out of Gatwick, however, so I guess we would take the Gatwick express if we are in the city.

Thanks for the suggestions!

janis Jan 4th, 2005 04:17 PM

Phew - glad that's all straightened out :)