Gatewick to Bath to Scotland

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 10:13 AM
Elvira Woodruff

Gatewick to Bath to Scotland

My friend and I are arriving at Gatewick at the end of July and going straight to Bath, where we've rented a car. Does anyone know about the train to Bath from airport and how long it takes? Also we are driving from Bath to Scotland over two weeks. Any suggestions of accom. would be helpful. B&B's you've stayed in and liked. We love gardens and history. Thanks, Elvira

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 11:07 AM
April

Apparently from Paddington Station to Bath takes about an hour and 20 minutes. I'll be interested to read the responses to your questions as we are planning a similar trip, but including south Devon and Yorkshire.

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 12:11 PM
Elvira

April, thanks for the info. This forum has been really helpful in plotting our course. Hope you have fair winds and good fortune on your travels....Elvira

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 12:11 PM
Elvira

April, thanks for the info. This forum has been really helpful in plotting our course. Hope you have fair winds and good fortune on your travels....Elvira

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 01:54 PM
Sheila

Are you intending going anywhere to spend time or do you want a constantly travellng trip?

I would suggest a stop in the Cotswolds,then something in or around the Lake District or West Yorkshire if the intention is to get to Scotland and spend time there. If it is to take 2 weeks to get to Scotland then a few more side trips are in order.

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 02:24 PM
Lynn

Dear Elvira:

My husband and I are planning to arrive in Gatwick and travel immediately to Bath too. The owner of our B&B in Bath e-mailed me with an axcellent web site for U.K. trains: http://www.railtrack.co.uk/travel/in...rsonalise.html

You just type in your travel date, departure time, etc. and the site will give you the route you need. Looks like a train from Gatwick to Bath takes almost three hours with at least one change of trains. Also check out the Bath.co.uk web site for additional train and other information about Bath.

Have fun!

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 02:55 PM
Elvira

Sheila, thanks and yes we'd like to see a bit of the English countryside(I'm a children's book author and so of course need to see Beatrice Potter's digs. We thought we'd take a few days in England and then get to Scotland traveling up to the Isle of Skye and then bring the car back down to Edinburgh where we'd get a train for London to return to America. Any and tips are greatly appreciated...
Lynn, thanks for your input as well. That website will really come in handy. I'm confused though about the times as April seems to think it's only an hour and a half from the airport to Bath...thanks again all, Elvira

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 04:27 PM
Jackee

We are also planning a trip to Bath, but we are pickig up our car at Gatwick. Last year we travelled in England and Scotland. Give yourself plenty of time in Kessick (Lake Distrct) simply wonderful. Also mke a stop in Oban, Scotland and take the tours of the Isles of Mull and Iona. Enjoy

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 06:34 PM
Elvira

Thanks Jackee, any suggestions on a good place to stay in Bath or Scotland? Have jotted down your Scottish suggestions as must see...Elvira

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 07:42 PM
April

Sorry for the confusion. My book lists the train route from London to Bath, so presumably you'd have to get to London first? I believe that would take about half an hour. On the website it says this:
From LONDON PADDINGTON To BATH SPA
First class fare$80.00 (US)
Second class fare$53.00
Average travel time1 hour, 30 minutes
Distance172 km / 107 miles
I can't find a direct route from Gatwick to Bath but maybe somebody out there knows better.

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 08:01 PM
Lynn

Dear Elvira (& April):

I used the Railtrack web site and typed in Gatwick as the departure point and Bath Spa as the destination. It gave a travel time of 2 hours, 45 minutes with one change of train in Reading.

Sorry, did not mean to cause confusion! Elvira, we are traveling in just a few weeks, so if you like I can post our actual experiences here when we return.

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 08:08 PM
Ron

To try and straighten out the Gatwick to Bath Spa rail confusion, it is best NOT to go into London, but to buy a ticket at the Gatwick train station to Bath, which will involve a change of train in Reading, and take about 2 and a half hours. Going into London means a half hour train ride to London Victoria, a subway (underground) or taxi journey to London Paddington and then the 1.5 hr train to Bath, which will stop in Reading on the way(to pick up the people who took the direct route from Gatwick). The schedule is in the railtrack web site mentioned above.

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 09:59 AM
Nigel Doran

If you are planning a train trip back from Edinburgh, I recommend you try to book a train in advance, bearing in mind that if you do, you will have restrictions on your journey.
If you just turn up and go, especially early in the day and always on Fridays and public holidays, the ticket will be expensive. Also in Britain, single journeys are not always, in fact hardly, half the price of return journeys.
If you contact G N E R, the train company that runs the route, you should be able to get a decently priced ticket. www.gner.co.uk or try 44 345 225225. You can book the tickets up to 8 or 9 weeks ahead, and could have them waiting for you at E'burgh station. 22 per single journey is what you should pay if you get in there early, and that is very good value for a high-speed (140 m p h), 4.5 hour trip. If you just walked up to the station and bought a ticket, you could end up paying 3 or 4 times as much.

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 11:10 AM
Sheila

OK, now we're cooking. On the assumption that the Scottish bit is more imoprtant than the English bit, I would suggest that you take a few (3/4) days to get from Bath to Scotland.

on leaving bath wander through a day in the Cotwolds till you find somwhere within striking distance of Stratford, and book in at a nice pub or B&B in a nice village. Just meander. It's beautiful and very chintzy. If I were taking you it might be something like- straight up to Cirencester for mornig coffee, then on to Bourton on the Water ( trying to work out which made for television series you've seen the village in) through Lower and Upper Swell and Lower and Upper Slaughter (jigsaw pretty); up through Stow in the Wold (where the wind blows cold) then on to Chipping Norton; past the wee brewery at hook Norton then fins somewhere like Tysoe or Oxhill to stay. If yu plan well enough in advance you could get tickets for the Royal Shakespeare Compnay that evening. In July they will have to be boked well in advance.

The alternative is to saty another night, which might well be worthwhile; giving you the chance to do the Shakespeare stuff. If the weather is fine startfor is a lovely town to wander round, and if it'snot, ,ost ofthem are indoors. You can get returns most mornings for that evening's show and indeed if there is a matinee, they are not oftern booked up too far in advance.

Leaving Startford there are two stopping of points on the way to the Lakes, neither of which I know well, but you might consider a day in the Peak District or a day on the Welsh Marches.

Coming into the Lake District, it is lovely, but... in my experience it is full. there are simply too many tourists for the infrastructure, so if you are going to go, my advice is work out waht you want to do, do it, then get the hell out. It's great in winter when there isn't anyone there. In summer it's like the Black Hole of Calcutta. Again, stay out of the big towns, in one of the small pretty villages. Try Ullswater or Haweswater, which are quieter than the big lakes. I've just remembered that we found a very nice B&B at Sadgill in Longsleddale.

Then aim for a stright run through southwest Scotland to somwhere like Lochearnhead. Lots of little B&Bs. Next day aim on through Fort William to Mallaig and get the ferry to Armadale on Skye. Spend an evening somewhere on the east side of the Sleat peninsula, then go up and spend an evening at Dunvegan (the Three Chimneys is meant to be good) Come back down and spend an evening in Portree (Rosedale Hotel on the harbourside is recommended- by me). That's 8 nights I think.

Leave Skye the next morning by the bridge, and, stopping at plockton, for the view, drive up Loch Ness to Inverness and spend an evening there. Come down to Blair Atholl then turn back along the Tay to Kenmore and spend the evening there, then next day go on to Edinburgh and finish your trip.

An alternaive to the last bit would be to do Slea, Portree, Uig, on Skye; catch the early ferry to North Uist, and drive down through the Uists to South Uist spending the evening at the Polochar Inn for one of the best views in the Western Isles.

catch the ferry from lochboisdale next day to Oban, sailing down through the Sound of Mull.

From Oban go either back up to Loch Ness or staright across to Kenmore etc etc.

For very special places to stay which are a bit more expensive (80- $110ish) ty the Hotel Eilean Iarmain in Sleat on Skye or the Pierhouse at Port Appin, 15 miles north of Oban.

Hope yuo enjoy your trip

if yu want tog

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 02:53 PM
Elvira

Many thanks to all! You've given such valuable information and Shelia, you are a God-send!We are mapping out our route right now with your suggestions. Lynn, I hope you have a wonderful time and posting it would be great...I'll keep my eye out for it...thanks again, all of you good souls...Elvira

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 03:31 AM
Frank Regan

The best guide to Scotland is "the internet guide to Scotland" - this site
is honest & has lots of accommodation &
travel info.
If you want to go somewhere really
special, fly to Barra from Glasgow.The plane lands on the beach....You're going
to Skye try the Skeabost hotel or the
Flodigarry Hotel for atmosphere(skeabost is usually booked).