Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   gate1travel.com hotels in paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/gate1travel-com-hotels-in-paris-489618/)

lilb118 Dec 7th, 2004 07:36 AM

gate1travel.com hotels in paris

I'm planning a trip to Paris and was wondering if anyone has stayed at these hotels before and can recommend one. These are the choices from gate1travel.com and gotoday.com that are included in the package deal. Looking for something convenient and decently nice with moderate price.

From gate1travel.com by ascending price
Gare de Lyon
Villa Saint Martin
Moderne Saint Germain
Holiday Inn La Villete

From gotoday.com by ascending price
Comfort Hotel Lamarck
Libertel Austerlitz Hotel
Linertel Lyon Bercy Hotel
Pavillon Pereire Arc de Triomphe Hotel
Pavillon Villiers Etoile Hotel
Waldorf Montparnasse Hotel
Cervantes Hotel Paris

WillTravel Dec 7th, 2004 07:47 AM

If I had to choose from just those, I'd select Moderne Saint Germain
or Waldorf Montparnasse. I know the location of the latter is very convenient.

Travelnut Dec 7th, 2004 09:04 AM

Scratch Holiday Inn la Villete from the start, as it is probably the furthest out on your list. Pavillon Pereire is also very off-central, not such good comments on Tripadvisor.

I have stayed at the Pavillon Villiers Etoile in 1999 (then, it was a Comfort Hotel). The metro is about 2-3 blocks. There is a street market everyday on rue Levi, a laundromat, a Monoprix (both a dept store and a grocery store), and cafes. Parc Monceau is a couple of blocks away, a beautiful park. They provided a nice continental/buffet breakfast. The rooms are small and walls a bit thin, but all was comfortable. Baths seemed new in 1999. I don't know how it has been maintained since then.

The Lamarck location is north of Sacre Coeur, which will mean travel time, and seems to have 'management' issues, re: Tripadvisor comments.

The Waldorf Montparnasse has good transportation connections and is in a very good neighborhood, lots of cafes, stores, close to Jardin de Luxembourg but not that close to the Seine. Good reviews on Tripadvisor.

Moderne St Germain is very central but sure has some stinky reviews on Tripadvisor.

Villa St Martin is in the 10th near Gare de l'Est, not a favored area.

The Waldorf Montparnasse seems the 'safest' choice.

ira Dec 7th, 2004 09:12 AM

Hi lil,

Are you sure that you want to go with a package?

What is your price range for hotels?

Travelnut Dec 7th, 2004 09:20 AM

By the way, if Paris is the only destination you are seeking, you may be able to book your own trip independently and find a larger array of central but reasonably-priced hotels.

Check Orbitz for an idea of airfares (I always book directly with airline, however). Search here on the forum for "hotel" and "central" or something like that, and you will find many recommendations.

Sarah Sep 25th, 2005 05:25 PM

Thought I would up this for anyone that saw the NYT times suggestion for gate1travel this past weekend. Travel nut so much great info in one response. This answered all my questions AND ITS ALMOST 1 YEAR OLD!!!