Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Gastronomy experts, take note! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/gastronomy-experts-take-note-173965/)

Judy Ryan Aug 12th, 2001 04:39 PM

Gastronomy experts, take note!

I will be in Portugal in Setember. Any suggestions as to good/charming places to eat in Rossio Square, Lisbon, will be having 2 lunches and 3 dinners in Evora, and choosing a place for lunch in Estremoz? <BR>Also, I will have a morning free in Lisbon--any ideas about museums? the 25th. of April Bridge? Praco do Comercio? First trip, so need input. Thank you.

Migas Aug 13th, 2001 06:45 AM

Hello! Let me give you some tips. <BR>In rossio square, there are no good restaurants, only a good coffe shop, named Suiça. <BR>In the Colesseum street ( street of Portas de santo Antão ) there are some restaurants, but more turistic style. Along the referred street, you´ll find an elevator ( Elevador do Lavra ), and right on the side you have a good restaurant ( Solar dos Presuntos ).The Castel of st. George, also have a restaurant, more charming but quite expensive . The chef is one of the best in Portugal. <BR>If you feel more likely for a "day in the park", you can go to the expo'98 area ( subway - Oriente ), and there you have a oceanarium, a shopping mall with good restaurants in the 4th floor, the vasco da gama tower ( with extraordinary views, and the most expensive restaurant in lisbon. <BR>If you prefer to go to cascais, there are also good restaurants ( sea food ). <BR>Free morning - well, that depends on your preferences, and your mobility.Post here something for this two ones. I suppose you like to eat !!! ( you´re my kind ) do you know what you may find ? if not post something here. <BR>

Migas Aug 13th, 2001 07:12 AM

almost forgot...In Evora, try restaurant named Fialho - it´s fantastic -. <BR>Alentejo gastronomy, is fantastic. Alentejo region in known, for beeing a region with little rain, so gastronomy is influnced by this fact, and also for a moorish ocupation several centuries ago. <BR>The main ingredient is bread, and herbs ( coriander, parsley, oregano). <BR>Meat dishes include normally pork, and fish or soups include cod. Tomato,olive oil, garlic and sweet chilies, are very much used. <BR>For a soup, try Açorda de Bacalhau ( cod fish soup ). A simple soup, made with cod, bread slices,garlic, coriander and an egg. This dish, not long ago, was the poor people dish, but now is considered a "not to miss". <BR>If you have no food problems, try things such as orelha de porco ( pork ear with olive oil and coriander . <BR>For a soup, try also sopa de Cação ( fish soup, superb !!!). <BR>Note. Alentejo has also some of the best red wines in the world. Don´t miss a Cartuxa. ( if you need more tips on wine, post here ). <BR>one more thing, about alentejo gastronomy. If one had to define it, it would be considered as Mediterranean Gastronomy influenced by Atlantic gastronomy. And what is this ? it´s a mixture of med ingredients ( even thow it´s a mediterranean climate area, it´s far from the med sea )such as olive oil, wine, tomatoes, and herbs, with atlantic ingredients such as cod fish, or sardines. <BR>If you like to eat, you´ll find it extremely interesting <BR> <BR>

Migas Aug 13th, 2001 07:44 AM

...(cont)...I told that alentejo food has got some moorish influences...well almost forgot the famous dish ( i forgot, because i´m not a big fan ). Borrego ( lamb ) with potatoes, and toasted bread ( ensopado de borrego ). If it is done properly, it´s good, but not very interesting in the summer, because it´s "heavy", but still, you can try.

Joan Aug 13th, 2001 09:37 AM

If its still around, try Sua Excellensa (pardon my spelling). This idiosyncratic restaurant was a memorable addition to a trip we took 5 years ago to Lisbon. Run by a real original, a flamboyantly gay, older gentleman of great linguistic skill, (7 languages which he loves to show off), it gave us one of the best meals of our life and a culinary adventure, too, as we did as suggested by friends, and let him choose. I remember a turnip and sheeps milk cheese dish with wild savoury, a salt cod with tomatoes and lemon, almond pudding with lavendar and some amazing vino verde. I sure hope its still there and would love an update. These quirky places can be fun but are subject to sudden change.

Mike Aug 15th, 2001 12:11 AM

Good posts!