Gasthaus Backmulde - Heidelberg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending 4 nights in Heidelberg in mid December 2003. I'm considering staying at the Gasthaus Backmulde or Weisser Bock - has anyone stayed at either one recently? We are looking for a mid-price hotel with a nice restaurant.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 06:25 AM

Hi Deborah,
while I haven't stayed at either of these hotels I took a close look at the Weisser Bock's restaurant while searching for a place for our wedding. It's a nice cosy place with a kind of upscale regionally influenced cuisine. I know they've redone the hotel nicely and I find it to be in a very convenient location. (actually the two hotels aren't that far apart)
Their own homepage www.weisserbock.de gives a good impression.

Tripadvisor.com has one review of the Hotel Backmulde. Kind of mixed experience, I'd say. But perhaps you also want to take a look at www.gasthaus-backmulde-hotel.de

I personally feel like the Backmulde is the kind of very traditional place that clings to some old student romance that doesn't exist anymore while the Weisser Bock has kept a traditional feel plus added a modern twist to it. Like dark carved wood but not overdecorated and combined with lighter colors.

Wherever you stay, don't miss out on an evening in the Kulturbrauerei (www.heidelberger-kulturbrauerei.de). ;-)
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 10:32 AM

We have stayed at the Backmulde 4 or 5 times with different friends that were traveling with us. Everyone we took enjoyed the selection. Last time was in December 2001. We also stayed there before the remodel of rooms and after. I would recommend the hotel.

The rooms are now new and modern. The restaurant still has a great feel. The hotel always leaves an early breakfast out for us on the last morning as we usually leave there to go to Frankfurt airport.

There are no elevators so be prepared to walk up one or two flights with bags. Parking is crowded, but you do have it. It is an easy walk to Old Town and the castle, so you do not need your car to go there. Hope this helps. If you are looking for the hotel it is located near the river and next two the old towers. As it is on a side street it is tough to find the first time.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 12:43 PM

I personally did not care for it. It is hard to find and they do not like late arrivers. I belieive the University is next door and the music kept me up till wee in the morning.
WE went 1 1/2 years ago. Our room was not updated, but we stayed in a "family" room as we had our childern with us.
I would not go back there.
Have a great time in Germany.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 01:29 PM
JN

We stayed at Gasthaus Backmulde in 2002. The room was large, simply furnished, but clean. No exceptional noise from the university area. It was a bit hard to find. The restaurant and breakfast were both excellent. Location was convenient. Staff, while not unpleasant, were somewhat aloof, but they did allow us an early breakfast so we could catch our train to the Frankfurt airport.