Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Gasoline Panic?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/gasoline-panic-188405/)

Tom Sep 11th, 2001 01:00 PM

Gasoline Panic??

Anone hearing/seeing reports of long lines at gas stations and jacked up prices. Reports here in Mark Twain country of long lines and prices up to $4.99/gallon. <BR> <BR>Idiocy takes over and creates panic, and greed finds an opportunity.

Walter Sep 11th, 2001 04:00 PM

Tom: Honestly, I think it is just a Missouri rumor:). My mother called me ~6:30PM EST and said her neighbor called her (they both live in RI). She said her daughter called her from Missouri and told her to fill-up the cars and RV because gas was going to $5 a gallon. But this is how rumors and panics start, hopefully this one will fizzle-out. Regards, Walter <BR>

Laura Sep 11th, 2001 04:10 PM

My daughter just called me from the western side of Michigan, and she said that there are extremely long lines at gas stations there, and she watched the price continue to go up as she waited in line. The price started at around $1.60 and was at $2 a gallon when she called. (she was still in line)

Robbyn Sep 11th, 2001 04:32 PM

I live in a small town in Indiana. My son called me from Ft. Wayne and told me of the long lines there, adding that the gas price was going up to $8.00 a gallon tomorrow. I went to the little market down the street and couldn't belive it my eyes. Fifteen cars were lined up waiting to fill up their tanks. When I finally got to the pumps and begin filling up someone drove by and yelled, "Gas is NOT going to be going up." Rumors??? I still don't know.

Tom Sep 11th, 2001 04:39 PM

Well, Walter, the rumor did a good job of looking real on the television tonight. :-) Prices over $5 in some cases. <BR> <BR>I wish the FBI would make some visits to gas stations before they get too involved in tracking the terrorists. Greedy people who take advantage of a situation like this aren't too different from the terrorists.

Greg Sep 11th, 2001 04:41 PM

Here in Indianapolis, there are already some stations that are charging $4 and $5/gallon. It's the panic by the public that is driving up the prices for the most part (not to mention greed by some station owners and a convenient opportunity for the petroleum industry to stick it to us like they do every holiday). The solution is simple: NEVER EVER EVER purchase any product, gas or otherwise, from a station that plays the gouge game preying on people's (hopefully unfounded) fears.

lisa Sep 11th, 2001 04:43 PM

The people in our small town are in a panic. I went to run an errand, and the gas stations were awful. I don't remember hearing that there was going to be a gas shortage....but, there will be now. One of our stations has a sign up "Out Of Gas". This is just awful - the terrorists are winning.

ALW Sep 11th, 2001 04:56 PM

The prices are the same in DC as they were this morning. It seems to be a fear largely restricted to middle America from all reports.

x Sep 11th, 2001 05:48 PM

. . . no doubt the same middle Americans who don't travel to Spain because of ETA, and who will in 20 years relate how they "barely missed the blast of '01--we were on an airplane in August"

mary Sep 11th, 2001 05:55 PM

here in nw indiana i saw long lines at the stations on my way home from work and heard some stations had prices jacked up to 4-5 dollars per gallon. too bad greed gets in the way of being a decent human being. also, as a nurse, tomorrow i'm going to give blood and if anyone knows any hospital workers in nyc or d.c. or pennsylvania send a thought their way and do something nice for them- they are going to be bone tired whenever they get off shift. keeping all in my thoughts and thank you to the many people here and abroad for their thoughts and prayers.

Betsy Sep 11th, 2001 06:21 PM

Still $1.69 here at my little neighborhood station in Sunnyvale, CA. No line.

Becca Sep 11th, 2001 06:26 PM

No rumor here in WI. Six bucks a gallon in Madison and here in La Crosse there are lines around the block! yikes!

az Sep 11th, 2001 06:36 PM

Refineries Shut Down <BR>The "panic" is related to the fact that major refineries here in Louisiana--and presumably across the U. S.--have been shut down and gasoline vendors do not know when their supply will be replenished. As of 7 p.m. CST, prices were stable here but lines pumps were congested and the waiting lines were growing.

mo Sep 11th, 2001 06:42 PM

I live right across the bridge from DC and the gas prices are still at 1.49 no lines etc. My friends who live right outside NY say the prices are the same as yesterday. Now my brother who lives down in mississippi tells me that the lines are wrapped around the block. He didn't tell me how much its going for.

Burta Sep 11th, 2001 09:26 PM

Topped off my tank after hearing reports of long lines and price gouging at the pump on the Mainland. No lines here, but prices are higher than the Mainland to start with. I paid $2.06/gal. for premium.

xxx Sep 12th, 2001 04:27 AM

Not a rumor in WI. Long, long lines (40-50) deep at the pumps last night. Near Madison, prices were $3 last night. Prices this AM were 20 cents higher than last night in my town. Prices near work were up 20-30 cents over last night and some stations report being out of unleaded. I suspect the panic in our area is also tied into the fact that we have had the highest gas prices of any state in the past months. I wish local news stations would establish a call in for those business who are engaging in price gouging and then broadcast who they are.

Jean Sep 12th, 2001 04:34 AM

<BR>No line at my local Shell station here in NC. Price remains the same as last week - $1.37/gallon.

az Sep 12th, 2001 05:50 AM

Refinerie update <BR>News reports out of Baton Rouge this a.m. are that several major refineries, including Shell, Exxon, Mobil have suspended outgoing deliveries. There is no report that they have actually stopped production. Some price gouging going on at local outlets, but still less than $2/gallon.

Betsy Sep 12th, 2001 06:00 AM

Try www.gaspricewatch.com/USGas_index.asp <BR> <BR>There's a legend at the top that shows when the prices have been updated. Noticed that prices are up in my zip code and it appears that some stations are out of regular gas, as no price is listed.

Ann Sep 12th, 2001 06:53 AM

I'm not one to encourage looting, but if you're going to do it, target those disgusting scum that are ripping off the American public by jacking up gas prices. <BR> <BR>Bastards. Guess we in DC can hold our heads up at the moment, while people in the Heartland are getting screwed.