Gas shortage in Italy and Switzerland?

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 06:09 PM
Stephen Hale

Gas shortage in Italy and Switzerland?

I am travelling by rental car for three weeks in Italy and Switzerland beginning Sept 19. Gas shortages are a real problem now in England and France. Does anyone know what the gas situation is or will be in Italy or Switzerland?

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 09:34 PM
Florence

There's no more gas shortage in France, never been any in Switzerland - that's where French drivers came to refill during the blockade. I didn't hear anything about Italy.

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 12:33 AM
caroline

Gas shortage is over in France, and we hear of some problems in Belgium. Things must be all right in Italy or Switzerland. Have a great time.

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 06:32 AM
Myriam

Some problems in Belgium ... that is the least one can say! Truckers, taxidrivers, etc. are blocking all highways, border crossings, tunnels, etc. This blockade used to be for trucks only but I just heard on the news that at this moment all motor vehicles are stopped. What a chaos!

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 10:51 AM
karen

Hi Everyone,
My husband and I will be going to Istanbul and Athens at the end of the month, and like many of you we don't want to have to look for a hotel after traveling for hours, so if anyone could recommed a hotel in either or both cities that you stayed at or wish you had I would really appreciate it. I have checked out greektravel.com but feel that there is nothing like getting a personal recommendation.

Anyway, Here's our basic criteria:

If possible, we would like to be in a fairly central location, meaning walking distance to shops, sites, restaurants etc...

We would like to stay in a moderately priced hotel, but would consider splurging on a more expensive hotel if it was really worth the experience.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Karen