Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Garmisch eating (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/garmisch-eating-490412/)

JulieVikmanis Dec 12th, 2004 02:44 AM

Garmisch eating

We will be in GAP for 6 days around New Years. Have reservation for NYEve at Fraundorfer. Would like info on similar places, good atmosphere, moderate prices, etc., for family of 5 adults. I saw mention somewhere of a great pizza place. Anyone have info on it? All recommendations greatly appreciated.

Patrick Dec 12th, 2004 05:12 AM

Hi, Julie!
We spent a week in Garmisch summer before last. We ate twice at Colleseo, which was a nice and inexpensive Italian place. The first time our food was good, but we noticed practically everyone else was eating pizzas, so we went back another night and just had pizza and beer. The pizzas were great!

Our best meal was at Reindl's Partenkirchner Hof Hotel. We ate in the less expensive -- more casual side -- The Brasserie, I think they call it. It was really excellent. I noted that our meal was 92 euro, but we splurged on a bottle of '92 reserve Pauliiac Comtessa Pinchot Longueville -- which was probably about half the bill! We both had tenderloin of lamb. I had a spectacular cheese board while Lee ate raspberries in Grand Marnier over ice cream. He started with a tomatoe suffed with grilled vegetables and mozzerella cubes, just melting. I had a rucola salad with sauteed chantarelles, parmesan, and balsamic glaze. This was an amazing meal!

Also had a nice meal at Alpenhof, but we mainly went there for the wonderful outside dining (certainly not an option in January!). We also enjoyed a cozy little place called Loisach Stuben -- owned by a Croatian chef -- excellent food. It would be wonderful in winter. Our total there including wine was 46 euro.

sardog10 Dec 13th, 2004 08:10 PM

Hi Julie,

Whenever we visited Garmisch, we made sure to go to Renzo's for pizza. It's over on the Partenkirchen side of town but I can't remember any kind of address. I've seen it recommended in other posts here, so maybe someone else can give you directions. Excellent food at really reasonable prices.

One reason I'll always like this restaurant was that they started putting prices in euros as well as marks on the menu long before it was necessary, and they converted their prices correctly. When we returned about a year later, their prices hadn't gone up, unlike so many businesses that inflated things with the change in money.

JulieVikmanis Dec 14th, 2004 06:09 AM

Thanks for the recs. Patrick, I have eaten at Reindl's and intend to do so again this time. Your description of your meal there has gotten me even more excited to go again. Our other meals, however, will have to be a bit less upscale so I appreciate the info on pizza places. We'll check out Renzo's and Colleseo. Loisach Stuben sounds interesting too. Perhaps we can intersperse some Croatian with the Italian and the inevitable Chinese my husband will insist upon. thanks

traveldawg Dec 18th, 2004 12:08 PM

The POST HOTEL PARTENKIRCHEN has a beautiful restaurant and good food. The beer hall across the street also fun to go to for casual food.

Melnq8 Dec 18th, 2004 05:58 PM

Another vote for Renzo's (aka Da Renzo). We stop there for a meal every time we're in Garmisch. They're located at Rathausplatz 6 - easy to find.