Gare de Lyon to Gare St. Lazare

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Elsa

Gare de Lyon to Gare St. Lazare

We must make a train connection arriving at Gare de Lyon then departing from Gare St. Lazare. Does anyone know how long it takes to get from 1 station to the other - w/ just the usual amount of traffic (positive thinking)?

Thanks in advance.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 04:41 PM
bob brown

I will answer as best I can, and keep your question up toward the top a while longer.

I have never gone directly from Gare de Lyon to St. Lazare, but I have gone to both stations from various points in Paris through "normal" Paris traffic, which is an oxymoron if I hever heard one.
The time we went to St. Lazare, we took the bus from near the Montparnasse Tower. It was no big deal, although the driver moved along at surface speeds through traffic.
Our trips to Gare de Lyon have been by taxi and the drivers knew what to do to get us there.

I am not sure how long it would take on the clock to make the trip. Right now I estimate 25 to 30 minutes. The two stations are on the same side of the Seine and an experienced driver can detour around any backups.

There is no direct Metro connection between the two stations. Your best route involves one change. If you elect to go by Metro, bear in mind that luggage can be a problem. I never regarded the Paris Metro as luggage friendly. There are a lot of steps and long corridors to negotiate.

If you do go by Metro, I think the best scheme is to take the Meteor Route from Gare de Lyon to Madeleine where you change to Line 12, direction Port de la Chapelle. From Madeleine, St. Lazare is the next stop on the line.
The Meteor Route seems to be the most efficient line of the whole system because it is the newest. The name Meteor derives from Metro Est-Ouest Rapide. By the way, the trains don't have a driver, so if one of them gets lost, I don't know how it finds its way back.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Bonnie

I was also wondering about this???

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 03:04 AM
VIncent

Of course, Elsa, if you could postpone your trip until mid-2003, Meteor will be complete and extended all the way to Saint-Lazare. But that might be too much asking....

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 03:25 AM
Julie

You know, one can get all kinds of wonderful information about metros on the web. The one piece of info that would be especially handy to have would be the number of flights of stairs connecting one route to another--and, for that matter, which ones have escalators. I love the metro but have arthritic knees. There are times that a different, even longer route would be prefferrable to one with big-time steps for the connection. Riders with luggage would also appreciate it.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Elsa

Thank you all for your replies. We will, however, be taking a taxi from Gare de Lyon to Gare St. Lazare. I don't want to have to lug luggage (even though it is a "carry-on" size) on the metro & up & down stairs. So --- barring any unforeseen traffic accidents, etc. how long would a taxi ride be?

Thank you very much.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:59 AM
?

to the top

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Rachele

I need to go from Gare d'Est to Gare St. Lazare. Does anybody know if there is a direct metro from there?

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Julie

Go to subwaynavigator.com and select the city you want to go to like Paris. Select your starting and ending station and your route will pop up. It's very nifty.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 04:34 PM
MBrown

Exit the front of the Gare de l'est Station and turn to your right. Walk to the corner of the station and turn to your right again on the rue d'alsace. Walk about 3 blocks to Rue La Fayette which is the first major cross street. You will see the RER Magenta Station. Take the RER E Direction Hausseman St Lazare. Get off at the first stop which is the Gare St Lazare.