Search

Gardone or Sirmione for an agile couple in their 70's

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gardone or Sirmione for an agile couple in their 70's

Which would be the most appropriate for a couple in their 70's

They would like to visit other towns on the lake and go on day trips to Verona & Venice.

Also they like good food and have picked two hotels
The Grand Gordone
Hotel Olivi Sirmione
Anyone ever stayed in either of these hotels?
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 02:41 PM

Hi Cambe, I have stayed in Sirmione a couple of times. I have visited Gordone twice. It's easy to get from one town to the next on Garda by boat. While there are more tourists in Sirmione, it's got a lot more going for it (in my opinion). Gordone is pretty but I don't think I'd want to stay there.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 03:48 PM

Hi, my dad was actually born there on Lake Garda (Lazise) I've been there 5 times so I can tell you, although Sirmione is very popular, the towns arond the Lake are all gorgeous. Sirmione would be the most expensive because it's a tourist trap. Visit...Lazise, Bardolino (where the wines are made, Limone (the most picturesque) Riva, Malcesine. Those are my favoties and you can't go wrong. Don't get a hotel in Sirmione. Since we've got a home there I can't tell you about Hotels, but that will be very pricy for nothing ! Have a great time, I can't wait to go back again & again & again.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 12:25 PM

Gardone limited for food choices, although has very frequent and quick ferry connections to nearby Salo, where I may stay next time. You probably know Gardone has 2 blockbuster tourist attractions in spite of it's small size. Gardone is closer to other lake destinations, being midlake, but Sirmione balances this out with more frequent service.

Sirmione offers more, but suffers from popularity. You often have to flatten yourself against a wall to let cars thru as they let the hotel users barge thru pedestrian zone; this is annoying! The ferry wharf can get ugly with about a hundred waiting for a late ferry, and gangs of (foreign) youths rushing the exits in the wrong direction to avoid missing the last boat. Gardone doesn't suffer this way, but admittedly has less to offer.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 12:48 PM

We stayed at the Grand Hotel Gardone Riviera, is that the one you are refering to? We really enjoyed it and would return. The boat dock is right outside the door so it is easy to get to the other towns. We took 1/2 board the the dinner was very good,the breakfasts were wonderful. We had a great room with a wonderful view of the lake, the desk help was very nice and helpful. There is a little town up above this area that had a few other restaurants and bars, an easy 15min walk if you are "agile". They have a wonderful pool and deck area to lounge around in, the swimming in the lake was great if you are so inclined. I don't know about getting to Verona or Venice from there, driving was easy, don't know about other alternatives.
We stayed here after escaping from a really BAD hotel and town and in comparision, it was fabulous!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for yor helpful information. Considering it all, and their age, they have opted for Gardone.

The Grand Hotel Gardone Riveria (this is the one they liked best) is where they will stay and thank you Sussanna for your review of the hotel.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 01:33 PM

Oops, I overlooked the Verona/Venice daytrips part, where Sirmione may be the only option where this is feasible by public transport.