Gardens in London open 9 June

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Ben Haines

Gardens in London open 9 June

If you are in London on Sunday 9 June and like gardens you are lucky. The Independent newspaper of London carried yesterday a piece to say that 70 private-access squares of London are to be open to public view at five pounds, children under 12 free. Detail is on http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/london.gardens, though I failed to get it. You can phone Britain 0870 333 1181, to ask for their leaflet with times and places. I hope the sun shines.

Welcome to London

Ben Haines

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 05:37 PM
Elizabeth

This is great information, I wish I were going to be there. I looked at the site. The whole thing is going to be festive, with nice refreshments and demonstrations of Scottish dancing.

It would be a super opportunity to mingle and talk to people, too. I went on a National Gardens Schemes tour of private gardens in London 2 weeks ago and had a wonderful time socially with mostly English people.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Judy

Many thanks for the great site,how I wish I didn't have to go to Beijing tomorrow. However,there will be othere events in July and September.

Do those squares open only once every year?

Does anyone know whether Brockwell Park(near Brixton) still keeps the trandition of planting all the flowers mentioned in Shakespear's plays? I have searched in vain.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Elizabeth

Judy--did you look at the National Gardens Schemes site? in any case you'll like the site. I am in love now with the National Gardens Scheme. (thanks to this site, probably Ben Haines, but can't find my old post looking for info)

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:36 PM
Ben Haines

Most of these private squares are open to the public only once a year -- unless you climb in at midnight like Hugh Grant in "Notting Hill".

Sorry.

I agree with Elizabeth: opening a conversation with a Briton is tricky, but anybody may talk about gardening any time. It is an open subject, like the weather, babies, and dogs. A month ago I was weeding my front garden, and a passing Swede stopped and begged a couple of strawberry plants from me. I gave him them, of course, and felt thoroughly proprietorial and English.

Ben Haines

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 10:51 PM
Judy

Thank you both. I have tried the other site. Have you tried the nation Trust and RHS sites?

I still like to know about the Brockwell Park,sorry about my thick-headed.