Search

Hotels in London

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 02:16 PM
amk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in London

Reasonable safe hotels to stay in London - close to nightlife.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 02:26 PM

The Thistle hotels are lovely and have several locations thruout the city. I stayed at the Thistle Tower (breathtaking view of the Bridge from the bar at night!), I can't say it was in the heart of the nightlife but it wasn't inconvenient either. As I said they have several locations all over.<BR>
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:26 PM

This question is asked very regularly so if you do a Search at the top of the page on London Hotels you will find many suggestions and answers .
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:32 PM
rex

Is the question about &quot;reasonably priced and safe&quot; hotels? or &quot;reasonably safe&quot; hotels?<BR><BR>Eother way, an indication of anticipated price range (or even which quartile of avaiable prices in London) would be helpful in providing a meaningful answer.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:47 PM

Maybe it's just that it's late, but I too question this vague term we keep getting &quot;reasonable&quot;. If a hotel has 600 square foot rooms with elegant furniture and huge marble baths and they charge you $500 a night, I'd say that is very reasonable. But I suspect that's not what you mean??? To some $60 a night is the upper limit of what they call reasonable. To others it may be $200 a night. To some others it might be a really great place for $400 a night.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 08:18 PM

<BR>Both Rex and Patrick ALWAYS answer a question with a question.<BR>If you don't think you can give a reasonable answer---Don't answer!!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 08:40 PM

Rex and Patrick DO NOT always answer a question with a question. amk has simply asked a poorly worded question. How can someone answer what is reasonable for amk? We need to know a price range at least.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 03:23 AM

As a previous poster said the thistle hotels are good. Thistle piccadilly is in a great position between Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square. Another good one is the Best Western on Shaftesbury Avenue very close to Piccadilly, Leicester square and chinatown. I have stayed at both and thought they were fine. A slightly cheaper one is the Travel Inn County Hall right next to the London Eye. A little further out right next to Waterloo station but very good value.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 08:48 AM

The answer also depends on where you're looking for nightlife.<BR><BR>If you're thinking of central London/Soho, then hotels on either the Eastern or Western side of Soho would be good options (you could stay in Soho/Covent Garden but it's loud, noisy, crowded and over-priced). On the West side, there is a Holiday Inn on Welbeck St (a few minutes NW of Oxford Circus, and just N of the main shopping strip on Oxford). It's boring but clean and well-priced. On the East side, you could look for some hotels around the Bloomsbury/Tottenham Court Rd (down towards Oxford St) area. Some are big &quot;tour group&quot; central hotels, some are decent moderately priced hotels.<BR><BR>If you're thinking of nightlife in the Hoxton/East side of the city, then you could look for a hotel in that area. I've never stayed there, but two moderate possibilities are a Holiday Inn Express in that area, and a Citadines (apartment-style hotel - good if there's a group of you). That will get you close to the right area, although not in the middle of it.<BR><BR>If you're not staying within walking distance of where you want to go at night, make sure you find the telephone number for a reputable minicab company, so that you can call for a ride. DO NOT ever accept the offer of a ride from an unlicensed mini-cab waiting outside a club, etc. There have been horrific reports of sexual assaults by such drivers.