Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Garbage pickup, Canneregio, Venice, near Ponte Noris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/garbage-pickup-canneregio-venice-near-ponte-noris-980751/)

anneinmanhattan Jun 7th, 2013 02:57 AM

Garbage pickup, Canneregio, Venice, near Ponte Noris

I know the rule is to put the garbage in the street but I've been here a week and haven't yet seen garbage bags in my area of Venice. Immediately over the bridge, close to where I live, I've seen them and also the garbage collector. Does anyone know the time schedules for different parts of Venice. Oh, if you haven't any thing helpful to respond, please keep the sarcasms for someone else's post. This is a serious question and I'm looking for a serious response. Thank you.

MissPrism Jun 7th, 2013 03:22 AM

Have a look at http://www.veniceempire.com/pages/waste/
It is collected quite early in the morning. Try putting it out overnight and see if it vanishes. I stayed in a small courtyard where there were hooks for the rubbish bags. People tended to hang them up in the evening Why are you expecting sarcasm? It's a sensible question. We were a bit naughty and didn't recycle, but the website tells you where to get the stickers.

ellenem Jun 7th, 2013 04:27 AM

At my apartment, I was told to put the garbage bags at after 6:00pm and before 8:00am. The apartment provided a schedule of what particular types of refuse was collected on which day, with details to separate for recycling. Yes, hang the bags on the hooks to deter vermin.

rickmav Jun 7th, 2013 05:08 AM

We were told to put out our garbage at 6 am on different days for different items, which was kind of a pain, but it meant that you never saw garbage on doorsteps when you went out to wander. We were in Dorsodouro and the instructions came in the information packet with the apartment. One night critters did get into all the garbage bags along the street and that was the first time I saw a canal (we had one in front of our apt) full of disgusting floating things, so "they" are out there. If you have a way of contacting your owner/agency you can always confirm the right procedure with them.

Holly_uncasdewar Jun 7th, 2013 05:54 AM

The trash bags are supposed to go out between 6-8 a.m. only. Definitely not overnight.

NYCFoodSnob Jun 7th, 2013 06:34 AM

It's very strange that you don't ask one of your neighbors. Someone along your block would know best. And that's a serious response whether you like it or not.

kappa1 Jun 7th, 2013 08:33 AM

> ask one of your neighbors. Someone along your block would know best.

Problem solved.

MissPrism Jun 7th, 2013 10:36 AM

....The trash bags are supposed to go out between 6-8 a.m. only. Definitely not overnight...

Our neighbours hung their bags up in the evening. I noticed that many people hung their bags from their doorknobs and grilles. As I said, we had hooks for ours. Still, if you want to get up at 6AM, fair enough.

Holly_uncasdewar Jun 7th, 2013 10:50 AM

Just because people set their trash out overnight, doesn't mean they're supposed to. I'm up at 5:30 a.m. anyway, so not a problem for me.

anneinmanhattan Jun 8th, 2013 05:43 AM

Thank you for the website, Miss Prism. And to the others who wanted to help--much appreciated. I did find an area near my building where people are putting their garbage and I left mine at about 8:00 in the evening and it was gone the next day. My street is very narrow (the width of two normal-sized pedestrians) and the buildings are being renovated, which makes it even smaller, so not a good place to put garbage and there are no hooks.

Rick-- I see garbage every day in my area, as late as noon, and occasionally picked over by animals. But I'm in Cannereggio--the poor man's Venice, I guess.

For those who love to preach, or show off, or whatever, save it for someone else. Obviously, if I had happened upon a neighbor I would have asked, but I've been here more than a week and haven't seen a single neighbor and I'm not in the habit of ringing other people's door bells. No need to respond!

socaltraveler Jun 8th, 2013 07:17 AM

I can appreciate the question; we had to figure out the garbage thing ourselves last year, and it was confusing.