Gap of Dunloe or Muckross Gardens

Mar 31st, 2017, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Gap of Dunloe or Muckross Gardens

Hello...

During our upcoming trip to Ireland we will be driving from Cahir to Kenmare via Killarney National Park. (This will be a very pleasant break in the driving day.)

We have been reading Jim Ryan's book Scenic Walks in Killarney trying to pick out a single walk of about 2-3 hours, and have narrowed it down to the Gap of Dunloe and a walk around Muckross Gardens and Traditional Farms.

We are aware that horse-drawn wagons are a possiblility in the Gap, but other than that, we have little knowledge of how that works or whether it is necessary rather than walking. (I suspect we can't walk the Gap in 3 hrs.)

I would appreciate any suggestions and links to help us make our decision. We really are not very knowledgeable about this area.

Thanks.
ssander
Mar 31st, 2017, 07:18 AM

I doubt walking around Muckross House would last 3 hours but if you have the weather for it, I'd really recommend it. The scenery is fantastic. Torc Waterfall is a 30 minute walk from it and that's always good for a picture.
Mar 31st, 2017, 07:28 AM

Trouble with the Gap is that it's not a loop walk its one end to the other and moderate rather than easy. Doing a loop from Kate's is about 7 miles http://www.activeme.ie/guides/walks/...t-gap-cottage/

Muckross is easier and you can change your mind if it clouds over after a short while.

Search this Thread