Galway City or Salthill?

Search

Galway City or Salthill?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galway City or Salthill?

We (four ladies on our 50's)are finishing our plans to our July 2006 trip to Ireland, but we cannot decide where to stay on our last stop: Salthill or Galway? We prefer to stay at a walking distance (10-15 minutes) from the center/restaurants, pubs etc... Any B&B recommendations ($40-50 dollars/person)?
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 08:12 AM
CU

Makes no difference really as Salthill is now a suburb of Galway and served with frequent bus services. For shopping etc. Galway would be best.
Look at www.goireland.ie
www.bedandbreakfastireland.net
Just a point of interest if you are looking at the location maps on the above sights Eyre Square is the center of Galway.
Have a great holiday.

Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks CU! It makes more sense now. After I posted the question I found a thread with B&B suggestions and they seem to be in Salthill. We will probably stay in Salthill and go to Galway during the day.
I will post our itinerary for comments pretty soon.
Happy Holidays for you to!
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 04:55 PM

Hello--we stayed in Salthill Oct.'04 at two different B&B's, side by side, and just a few doors up from Galway Bay. We were pleased with both, and the hosts are delightful: Marless House and Liscarra. Liscarra could accommodate us for 2 nights, and Marless on the 3rd night and that is how we came to stay in both.

www.homepage.eircom.net/~gerregan/
www.marlesshouse.com

They are located just a few doors up from Galway Bay and the Esplanade, where you can stroll along the Bay (and get some beautifuly pictures!). The bus runs along there also, and nearby within walking distance is a delightful little neighborhood restaurant, tucked away, The Rockbarton, which our hosts recommended. We enjoyed it so much, that we ate there two nights consecutively.

Also, both B&B's can arrange tours for you to the Burren and Cliffs of Moher, to the Connemara and Kylemore Abbey, and to the Aran Islands. You are picked up at the B&B, and returned -- great service, to say the least.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip. Ireland is magical, and you four ladies traveling together sounds like a grand time.

Cheers!
Sue
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 05:18 PM

Hello,
In September, I stayed at the Connaught in Salthill. It, too, is just a short walk from Galway Bay, and the owners, Tom and Collette were wonderful. Great breakfast too!!

Wherever you decide to stay, enjoy your trip.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Sue and Rosie. Wonderful information and I am going to check right away!
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 01:11 AM

Depending on which B&B you choose, Salthill is within easy walking distance of Eyre (aka John F. Kennedy) Square. It's really not that much further than the B&B's on College Road or on Father Griffin St. 35-euro (about $40) was a pretty standard B&B rate last Summer.

That having been said: for your last stop in Ireland, why not go where the action is?? July is when Willie Clancy's Caeli (stepdancing classes and competitions) happens in Spanish Point, Co. Clare (centered at the Armada Hotel - but there are B&B's in nearby Miltown-Malbay or Lahinch). Lahinch (or Ennis) would be a better choice if you are looking for Restaurants & Pubs. There's not much in Miltown-Malbay. But both are closer to Shannon airport than Galway ...
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Great additional tips Nedsireland!
We decided to stay at Liscarra B&B (recommended by suelh) in Salthill. Seems to be close to everything. I will check the stepdancing competition. Maybe we can add Ennis to our itinerary (we are flying back from Shannon)
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 08:12 AM

mmcs, nedsireland is right on about Spanish Point. I stayed at Bellbridge Hotel anround the corner from Armada Hotel. Armada Hotel has some of the best views anywhere in my opinion. It might be hard to get rooms anyplace in the area at that time, but wouldn't hurt to look. I made friends with a family that run a B&B and she said they are booked a year in advance. I have such fond memories of Milltown Malbay.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:10 PM

mmcs:
How nice to know you have chosen Liscarra -- it was our favorite of the two because we just found ourselves more simpatico with Brendan and Ethna (pronounced Etna, as in Mt. Etna)--"just hope I don't erupt," she likes to kid, with a chuckle. Ethna truly went out of her way to accommodate us and assist us in every way she could, and Brendan was a very gracious host. I do hope you will enjoy your visit. -- Sue
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Just love the sense of humor of Irish people! (suelh's comments about Ethna)This is the best part of the trip, staying in B&B and getting to know the people. Spanish Point is on our notes at least as a day trip.
Thanks again...
Now we are looking for car rentals and I am impressed with the difference ($$$) between manual/automatic. But I think it's too much of a challenge to drve on the right side of the car, on the opposite side of the road and still deal with a manual (I am spoiled now with automatic, my whole life I drove manual in my native Brazil...)
Old May 27th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Liscarra B & B?