Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Galleria degli Uffizi......what to do!!!!!

Apr 27th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Here's my predicament. I'm in Florence for only 2 days, with only about 1 1/2 days to see the sites. I'm not really an Art person, more of an architecture and history person. I know that the Uffizi is one of the great art galleries of the world, but with my time crunch and the lines and size of the Uffizi, not sure if its worth it to go. I don't want to give up seeing other sites because the Uffizi takes up half a day. Here's my question .... What should I do? If I buy advance tickets to beat the lines, how long does it realitically take to see the Uffizi?

Grazie
Apr 27th, 2006, 08:08 AM

There was another thread about this a few days ago...

It seems it really depends on the person and his/her interest in what the Uffizi has to offer. Some zip through in an hour; others spend the better part of a day.

I think the Uffizi's Web site has a fairly comprehensive list (with images) of its most important works. Have a look at it and decide whether a visit appeals to you at all and if it does, how many of the works really interest you.
Apr 27th, 2006, 08:11 AM

How long is a piece of string?!! If you are not an art person, then don't go. If you are only going becuase you want to say you have been, or because you think othe people will think you are "weird" because you went to Florence and did not go the Uffizi, then you are missing the point of the art, and worse, letting other peiple dicate what YOUR life should be. Don't worry what others think. If you don't want to go, dont. I could spend the whole 2 days in the museum, but that is just me. If you have read your Machavelli, or George Eliot, or Galileo's Daughter, your time is probably better spent searching out their haunts.
Apr 28th, 2006, 12:53 PM

We were in Florence last week for 4 days. We are both art lovers, and went to the Uffizi. It was overwhelming, even to my husband, whom I usually have to drag out of art museums. There is so much else to see in Florence, so if you are not an art person, and only have a day and a half, give your self permission to skip the Uffizi!
Apr 28th, 2006, 01:01 PM

I also don't think there is anything wrong with dedicating two hours to it and concentrating on the early crucifixes and the Botticelli room. I'm also not an art person - this is what I did on my recent trip and felt completely satisfied.
Apr 28th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Plus, if you use the Rick Steves tour in his guidebook, you can see the highlights and not take too much time.
Apr 29th, 2006, 06:30 AM
ira

Hi TR,

I suggest that you take 2 hr for the Uffizi, 0:45 hr for the Accademia.

What else are you planning to see in Florence?

Apr 29th, 2006, 07:36 AM

I suggest you skip the Uffizi. It's very crowded and very difficult to see the paintings because they are behind bombproof glass. You describe yourself as not really an art person, but more of an architecture and history person. You will find it more rewarding to spend longer amounts of time with architectural and historic sites of Florence.

If you don't want to give up other sites to see the Uffizi, don't do it. Despite holding many artistic treasures, it is one of the least enjoyable places to view art in Italy.