Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Galicia and Santiago de Compestela - any suggestions?

Mar 4th, 2001, 01:33 PM
Jessica

We are planning a trip, possibly by car, through northwestern Spain, Galicia and to Santiago de Compestela. One concern is the weather - we've heard to expect lots of rain (expecially in September).What other cities are worth visiting in the area? any beach towns? We will be arriving in Madrid. Are there any stops between these two areas worth visitng?

Mar 4th, 2001, 02:24 PM
wendy

I really liked La Coruña in Galicia. If you visit the area near the lighthouse, you'll see some stunning cliffs, an old shipwrieck, and an amazing sunset. When I was there about 5 years ago, the city was building a boardwalk along the area, so it may be touristy, but while i was there, it was pretty isolated.

Mar 16th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Cecilia

We are also plannig a trip to North Spain, we are also based in Madrid. I have found good information at http://www.tourspain.es/inicio.htm
My itinerary is: Madrid, Peñafiel (casttle), Aranda del Duero (A Catheral with a great wine cave), Burgos, Santander, Picos de Europa (National Park), Santiago de Compostela (including La Curota). I wasn´t plannign A Coruña, I´ll take it into account. My trip is planned in 9 days because We´re going with kids, so we include beach two days (In Santader called El Sardinero and in Gijon between Santander and Santiago de C)I have read that close to Santiago there are also great beaches.
If you find anything new or a "mustsee" I don't have, please let me know.
I hope this helps you.

Mar 16th, 2001, 12:20 PM
Maribel

Jessica,
I've never been to Galicia in Sept., but it's hard to avoid the rain entirely, even in the sunniest months of July-Aug. Expect showers, (this is Green Spain, after all), but fortunately they don't last all day.
We're doing a 15 day trip from Avila to Galicia, then Cantabria, Picos de Europa (Asturias), then back down to Madrid thru Leon. From Avila to Santiago, we're spending time in Salamanca (exquisite, beautiful university town, the Oxford of Spain, with the prettiest, most atmospheric Plaza Mayor in the entire country) and Zamora (magnificent Parador).
These are the highlights of our Galicia portion, where we'll have 2 bases, one in Santiago and the second in Baiona.
The lovely yacht harbor town of Baiona (don't miss! it's Galicia's most upscale beach town-has a spectacular Parador within the ramparts, where Columbus's Pinta first returned from the discovery voyage), the Albarino wine town of Cambados (charming), the drive from Santiago along the fjords ("Rias Baixas") past Noia up to Muros, the beach/spa resort island of A Toxa (La Toja in Spanish-where the fragrant brown soaps and bath salts come from), and Pontevedra (pretty old quarter).
If you catch a nice sunny day for the beach, there's also the attractive "La Lanzada" beach near Vilalonga. And nearby Portonovo, near Sanxenxo, really comes alive at night, as it's a town which seems to consist solely of tapas bars! From our base at the Parador in Baiona, we plan to explore again a bit of the Minho valley and do some white wine tasting at the O Rosal vineyards (on the Spanish side), perhaps take a ferry to the isle of Cies and drive down to A Garda to do some hiking, climbing up to Monte Santa Tecla.
This time we're skipping Tui-just a fortified frontier town. Avoid industrial Vigo.
Hope this gives you some ideas.
Have a wonderful trip!

Mar 20th, 2001, 01:22 AM
Marie

We are going to Northern Spain the end of April, 3 weeks, flying into Madrid. Will we need reservations for villages? We will make them for Madrid and Barcelona. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mar 20th, 2001, 02:25 AM
Maira

In 1999, my husband and two German friends took off from Madrid by car to get to Santiago de Compostela. We stayed in Segovia and Leon, with stops in Pontferrada, and some other mountain villages in the way. Highly recommend both cities for overnight, They are both breathtaking. The main "theme" of our trip was The Way of Saint James (Camino de Santiago), which we picked up in Leon until we got to Santiago. Getting ready for this trip was a joy; reading about El Camino, rural architecture in Northern Spain, etc.

In Leon, highly recommend trying to stay at the Parador. We couldn't get in, instead stayed at a wonderful hotel with an exceptional restaurant called "La Posada Regia", http://www.si-santamonica.es/regialeon/posada.htm. It is right in historic Leon, walking distance to the Cathedral, Royal Pantheon (highly, highly recommended), and many, many other restaurants and tapas bars.

The Cathedral in Santiago is breathtaking. There we recommmend the following hotel Casa de Las Artes http://www.asartes.com/. New, walkiing, doors down the Parador and walking distance to Cathedral amd museums in Santiago.

We spend some days in Santiago and started a loop back to Madrid by stopping in Pontevedra, a beautiful seaside town with outstanding seafood restaurants. We actually headed to Viana Do Castelo, a Portuguese seaside medieval village where we stayed at an apartment, 300 meters from the beach for $35.00/night. Viana was highly recommended on this forum by BOB THE NAV and we were so glad we listened . After some days in Viana, we got on the road again and headed to Salamanca (thru Porto), where we stayed for another couple of days. Salamanca was one of my favorites towns; just amazing. There we stayed at Palacio de los Castellanos. Highly recommend it. Let me know if you need their website and I can also give you more details about this hotel.

I am very glad to see people heading out to Northern Spain, an area almost undiscovered with so much to offer. I urge you to research this trip well, it will make the stay so much more enjoyable. Also I urge to seek out MARIBEL's posts. She is an absolute authority in everything Spain and her past posts provide invaluable input and information you will not find in any guidebook.

Have a great time!

Apr 1st, 2001, 06:18 AM
Maira

To the top for Richard who is planning a trip to this region.