Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Gaeta, anyone? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/gaeta-anyone-90480/)

Meredith Oct 18th, 2000 11:58 AM

Gaeta, anyone?

Does anybody have any first-hand information about where to stay or what to do in this town? I'm interested in budget hotels, good food and drink, and a little bit of nightlife. Thanks!

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Oct 18th, 2000 12:14 PM

Hello Meredith, You will love Gaeta. <BR>I was there last April and found it to <BR>be charming---but too many sailors. <BR>I like the Gajeta Residence Hotel for <BR>location as you enter the main town, but <BR>the Serapa Hotel on the beach side of <BR>town is also nice. Be sure to hit Sperlonga about 12 mikes north on the <BR>beach---smaller and more quaint.

Meredith Oct 18th, 2000 12:22 PM

Thanks, Bob - I knew I'd hear from you! I did a search on this site and saw that you have recommended Gaeta before. <BR> <BR>We are thinking about staying a night in Gaeta as we drive up to Umbria from the Amalfi Coast. What do you recommend we do for the few waking hours we will have in Gaeta? :)

nancy Oct 18th, 2000 06:02 PM

Meredith, <BR>Topped a posting for you (a few mins. ago). <BR>Look for; <BR>Rome, Naples, area in between, by Dona. <BR>There are some restuarants listed there for the Gaeta area. <BR>nancy

nancy Oct 18th, 2000 06:04 PM

Me, again. <BR>Check out www.atenatour.it for hotels in that area. <BR>As far as nightlife, <BR>Where there are sailors, can there be bars, etc. far behind? <BR>nancy <BR>

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Oct 18th, 2000 07:19 PM

Gaeta is more of a visual experience. The fabulous church above town dominates <BR>the scene with some great photo ops. <BR>Sperlonga is more of a strolling town. <BR>Both have great beaches if you are there <BR>at the right time. You can see either of <BR>them in less than 3 hours each.

Dona Oct 28th, 2000 01:23 PM

Meredith, <BR> <BR>Just got back from gaeta and found a wonderful little restaurant called La Cantinella - it's right on the via Duomo. The owner, Ugo Cimino, can't do enough and the food is wonderful. We didn't order - he just did his magic... <BR> <BR>Enjoy it... <BR> <BR>Dona

Paulo Oct 29th, 2000 04:18 AM

Bravo Dona! Though this approach is just for a few (it wouldn't work for the "I don't eat organs", "I don't eat read meat", "I don't eat whatever ...") it's IMO the best way to go. When we're in Italy, at least half the times we eat out we use this approach (it doesn't work very well if the restaurant is crowded). Though it's fun to go through the menu to see what there's to experiment, we like to call the owner/chef for a chat and ask him to prepare us what in his opinion is the best he can offer. Also, most of the times we ask for the plates to come as a surprise (and to discuss it after we experiment it). Sometimes I can feel the owner somewhat unconfortable at first (specially when what's "best" would be considered kind of weird by most) but when assured that we love ANY WELL prepared plate he leaves happy to the kitchen, confident that his "magic" like you put it, will work on us. We had many memorable meals even in some small, cheap and lost restaurants this way. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>