Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Future restrictions the UK would put on foreigners buying property? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/future-restrictions-the-uk-would-put-on-foreigners-buying-property-952500/)

dhs93 Oct 3rd, 2012 07:13 AM

Future restrictions the UK would put on foreigners buying property?

I know as of now that anybody can buy property in the UK, even if they are foreigners. I am curious that when they do eventually put restrictions on foreigners buying UK property (maybe because of the economy or because the Queen dies), would foreigners not be able to buy any property in the UK, or would foreigners not be able to buy some kinds of property in the UK.

The reason I ask this question is because many other countries put restrictions on foreigners buying property.

mjdh1957 Oct 3rd, 2012 07:16 AM

No-one knows the future.

Foreigners have been able to buy property in the UK for many, many years. Why would the death of the current head of state alter that?

jamikins Oct 3rd, 2012 07:16 AM

How on earth is anyone supposed to know what has not even been decided yet? No one has a crystal ball.

And curious why the Queen passing would have anything to do with it?

janisj Oct 3rd, 2012 07:18 AM

???

The Queen has nothing to do w/ property laws/regulations

PatrickLondon Oct 3rd, 2012 09:26 AM

I've not heard of any such proposals. Where on earth is this coming from?

There is frequent comment on the effect of the influx of very wealthy people on the top end of the property market, but apart from anything else, it wouldn't be possible to prevent sales to people from other EEA countries, and no conceivable government is going to stop Russian, Chinese, Indian or Arab millionaires from spending their money here.

The only conceivable policy change might (eventually) be to make property taxation reflect increases in values. The Queen's eventual passing would have nothing do with it. Why on earth would it?

sofarsogood Oct 3rd, 2012 09:28 AM

I've a feeling the OP is concerned about possible restrictions on buying holiday homes (in Liverpool or London)

Nonconformist Oct 3rd, 2012 10:16 AM

It is highly unlikely that any such restriction would be introduced. Just be aware that owning property here gives you no rights to live here without the appropriate visa.

janisj Oct 3rd, 2012 10:36 AM

"<i>I've a feeling the OP is concerned about possible restrictions on buying holiday homes (in Liverpool or London)</i>"

Oh - this is <i>that</i> guy . . .

dhs93: No - the queen passing will have no effect on you being able/or unable to buy.

(in any case she'll probably out live most of us)

dhs93 Oct 3rd, 2012 10:43 AM

PatrickLondon, I'm a USA citizen and I am born and bred in the USA.

Heimdall Oct 3rd, 2012 11:19 AM

Yes, we know, dhs93, because we have read your other posts. Where do you get these ideas from? Foreign investment in UK property is a very healthy business at the moment.

PatrickLondon Oct 3rd, 2012 11:19 AM

Ah. <i>Second</i> homes. That's a different issue, but only in some parts of the country, usually the picture postcard villages where demand from incomers can price out younger/poorer people. Nationality isn't the issue, nor would it be an issue at all in big cities: and any policy action on it would be focussed on taxation rather than trying to dictate who can and can't buy.

bilboburgler Oct 3rd, 2012 11:47 AM

This question is not anywhere on any political parties radar in the UK, unless perhaps the Welsh (due to historical burning of cottages of English people in Wales).

dhs93 Oct 3rd, 2012 11:53 AM

Thanks for all of your responses everybody!! :-)

flanneruk Oct 3rd, 2012 01:53 PM

Question from Patrick L: "I've not heard of any such proposals. Where on earth is this coming from?"

Answer from the poster " I'm a USA citizen and I am born and bred in the USA"

You mean:
- Americans are exempt from explaining why they believe manifest crap, or
- Americans will believe any old tosh, or
- Americans can't understand a simple question , or
- The poster just links questions with the first thing that comes into his head.

Whichever: he seems as unaware of how we govern ourselves in Britain as he is of the basic rule of British life: <b>We really, really don't suffer fools.</b>

True in rural England. Truest of all in Liverpool. If dhs93 can't answer a simple question in Liverpool, he'll be running off in tears to the first US-bound flight out of Manchester faster than you can say "you wha', la?"

bilboburgler Oct 3rd, 2012 01:56 PM

Flanner, "We really, really don't suffer fools." I understand our TVs are full of them all the time.

nytraveler Oct 3rd, 2012 02:12 PM

What does the Queen have to do with foreign citizens buying property in the UK? She is the head of state, not the head of the government. In case weren't you aware the UK is a parliamentary democracy?

Alec Oct 3rd, 2012 04:22 PM

The only change on the horizon is about taxing property purchase (called stamp duty). Most foreigners buying UK properties escape stamp duty by buying through a foreign (offshore) company. As they are usually heavy investors in top-end private and commercial properties, closing down this loophole will yield a handsome windfall for the UK treaury.

dhs93 Oct 3rd, 2012 05:12 PM

Flanneruk, My statement "I'm a USA citizen and I am born and bred in the USA" was not an answer to the question from Patrick L. The only reason I mentioned that statement is because Patrick L said "Russian, Chinese, Indian, or Arab." I'm sorry that I confused everybody.

StCirq Oct 3rd, 2012 06:17 PM

As someone who has bought property in an overseas location, I suggest you do a HUGE amount of research on the implications (which aren't probably all that great, but you DO need to know what you're getting into). It's not a picnic.

janisj Oct 3rd, 2012 06:35 PM

StCirq: We tried that on his other thread . . . but he is nothing if not persistent.

dhs93: Patrick mentioning Russians, Chinese, Indians, and Arabs wasn't meant as a comprehensive list. Other nationalities - yes, even Americans - were implied . . .