Fussen - Switzerland via Lake Constance

Old May 31st, 2001, 05:20 AM
Lily

Fussen - Switzerland via Lake Constance

Please help me with this last minute detail! We will be staying in Fussen, Germany and my mother-in-law wants to visit Switzerland. Is it possible to make a day trip there? We will have a car. Somewhere I heard that there are Auto ferrys that cross Lake Constance does anyone have any details? Thank you!!!

Old May 31st, 2001, 06:17 AM
Ursula

Lily: Daytrip by car, no problem. Auto ferries run frequently from Friedrichshafen/Germany to Romanshorn/Switzerland.
Lake of Constance is marvellous. Don't miss the Zeppelin-Museum in Friedrichshafen. Beautiful.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 02:44 PM
wilt

I think a 'day trip' from Fussen to Switzerland is pushing it a bit unless you want a long day. Munich to Zurich (in north) is a bit over 300km, for example. Assuming you can average 100kph (which is tough due to much road work during the summer which can drop your speed to 60kph max in stretches) that's over 3 hours each way! Fussen is closer in distance, but not as well connected by autobahn.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 03:04 PM
Beth

Why not make it an overnight?! Lindau is a great town to spend a couple days, and you can visit the beautiful gardens of Mainau. Also right over the Swiss border are the Rhine Falls and Stein-am-Rhine, which has a lovely toy/doll museum.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 06:41 AM
jw

Hello, I agree that Lindau (German side of the lake) is absolutely enchanting. It's been a long time since I visited Stein-am-Rhine, but it was a dandy with the pretty frescos on the outsides of the buildings. But you know, you won't really feel like you are in Switzerland unless you get as far as Appenzell or maybe Rapperswil. But Fussen is so lovely and alpine; perhaps the Lindau/Stein-am-Rhine is a better idea than trying to reach Heidi's Switzerland. jw