Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Funny Italian Translation messing up my reservation??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 07:28 AM
Patrick

I have spent a couple of months trying to book a small hotel in Lipari for July. I hadn't gotten any response to emails and thought maybe most small hotels were closed for the winter. Last week I emailed The Poseidon Hotel and immediately received the following email, which I suppose they translated to English on an internet translator:<BR>We give to our momentary availability of one room for two persons for four nights from the 27/07/02 to the 31/07/02. The comprehensive every day cost of breakfast is of euro 83,00 is prayed to want to confirm within and beyond the 07/03/2002 not sending the data of its credit card. Distinguished salutes. . . <BR><BR>Now I assumed that they were telling me they would hold this reservation until March 7 and I would need to forward credit card details to them by that date. I did, but it has now been a week (I've resent the information twice by email and sent it by fax once) and haven't received any reply. As March 7 rapidly approaches I am getting concerned. I held off on several other hotels in Sardinia until now, and am now finding that they are all fully booked for July and August. Any suggestions? Or do you think that they have made my reservation since I did what they said (I think)?

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 07:36 AM
Amy

Patrick,<BR>I know I shouldn't laugh at that, but that is too funny! Have you tried to get a phone number and call them? That's what I would do!<BR>~Amy

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 07:37 AM
Wayne

Just send them this e-mail:<BR>"Per favore, conferma subito la mia prenotazione dal 27/07/02 al 30/07/02. <BR>Molto grazie,<BR>Patrick Ash (?)<BR>You will get a reply

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 07:40 AM
jan

Oh, I'm seen some good ones, but that's a real doozy!<BR><BR>I agree with Amy. Get your handy Italian phrasebook out and call. Good luck!

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 07:50 AM
Patrick

Actually I did call and got absolutely nowhere, except that they did repeat my name, so perhaps they know I called. I don't speak Italian anyway, and on the phone it is totally impossible. I suspect during season someone is on staff who speaks a little English, but right now whoever answers the phone doesn't speak a word. I will send the Italian email you suggest, Wayne.<BR><BR>I thought I'd print out the entire message from them as I too thought it was such a funny translation. Makes it sound like a really expensive breakfast, doesn't it? And it must be very religious there as they "pray" to confirm. But I'm sure I understood what they meant.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 12:17 PM
Sheila

Patrick- give us the original Italian and someone (probably not me) will translate it for you properly.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 04:57 PM
Patrick

Sorry, Sheila, you missed my point. It was never sent to me in Italian. Apparently the person posting it entered the Italian into a translating web site and then sent the message to me in scrambled English. Actually I'm sure even with my limited Italian abilities I could have translated it better to English than this came out.<BR>By the way, a frequent Fodors poster who lives in Italy has offered to call the hotel for me and check (in Italian, of course). I won't mention her by name as she probably doesn't want dozens of similar blanket requests. Now what other travel site would get anyone such great service? If I do not hear from the hotel by tomorrow (since I also sent them Wayne's message) I'll take her up on her offer.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 07:44 AM
GAC

Patrick: the poor English translation is a literal translation from Italian: from the phraseology and choice of words, I could pretty much translate it back into Italian. "Prayed to want to confirm" translates from "La prego di confermare". "Distinguished salutes" translates from "Distinti Saluti". Obviously, these people are trying very hard to communicate with you!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Sherry

Good luck, Patrick. We made reservations in Italy for an apartment I found on the internet. I requested my dates and got one e mail from them saying o.k. I kept sending e mail asking if they wanted some kind of credit card number to hold it. No response. Finally, I took the plunge and called even though I have no Italian language skills. I was lucky, They spoke very good English. I got the owner on the phone and when I mentioned my name he said "no problem, the lady with the credit card. don't worry" He still didn't want my card number. Seems he is very trusting. But I had a thought that I hope the apartment is really waiting for me when I get there. I guess some places are a little more laid back then I am used to!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Sheila

Sorry, Patrick, I must have been reading too fast.<BR><BR>I thought it was a bit of a lamebrain thing for a man of your talents to have put up with.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Lisa

Patrick, I found this rather amusing as I have received garbled communications from abroad myself. Please keep us posted after your Fodors angel makes contact with the hotel. It would be interesting to see whether our interpretation of the hotel's message is accurate...