Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   fun young tour guide in vienna, bratislava, budapest (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fun-young-tour-guide-in-vienna-bratislava-budapest-987868/)

Alfatom Aug 7th, 2013 11:34 PM

fun young tour guide in vienna, bratislava, budapest

Hi,

Can anyone help me find a young and cool guide in vienna budabest and bratislava?
We will arrive on the 18th of august and are willing to pay good money + expenses for someone to show us around.

centraleurope Aug 8th, 2013 02:53 AM

Not sure I put Fun, Young, and Fodors in same sentence too often. You might want to post this to the forum on lonely planet.

I would maybe split guides...one for Bratislava (and you can take your young, fun guide to Vienna for a day).

And then arrange a second guide for Budapest. I was always surprised at how few young people I knew in Bratislava who had ever even visited Budapest.

What are your interests?... I know lots of people in Bratislava in their early 20s - but most are very into classical music and perhaps more "serious" stuff than certainly my 3 american kids. (perhaps because of the crowd we hung out with - these are the children of our friends).

You might want to show up and wing it - Bratislava has little of any kind of professional guide presence that I ever saw. I am not sure your age (I think of young as 20s)... In Bratislava, you could run into someone interested in doing this near the universities, etc.

I lived in Bratislava for 18 months, Budapest now for 6... So I know both towns well. I am often asked to recommend guides - but always struggle to find anyone.

sparkchaser Aug 8th, 2013 03:29 AM

<i>Not sure I put Fun, Young, and Fodors in same sentence too often. You might want to post this to the forum on lonely planet.</i>

Truer words were never spoken. The more I hang out here, the more I sense that this place caters more to the, errr, "mature" traveler than their younger, hipper counterparts.

In addition to Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree, I would also check out Couchsurfing. Several guides advertise there and the couchsurfer demographic tends to be in the sub-30 year-old range.

ira Aug 8th, 2013 06:59 AM

>this place caters more to the, errr, "mature" traveler than their younger, hipper counterparts.<

You say that as if there were some sort of superiority attached to being young with a big butt.

Keep this post and see how you feel in 25 years. :)

((I))

adrienne Aug 8th, 2013 07:30 AM

We may be mature but a lot of us know how to have fun. Posters here are availing themselves of decades of European travel knowledge and experiences.

I've had guides who were not young but who were fun.

Bobandco Aug 8th, 2013 08:57 PM

This old part suggests you look at beyondbudapest.hu

centraleurope Aug 9th, 2013 12:59 AM

Adrienne.. you can't take the "young and fun" thing personally.

I recently went to Dublin with my son and his friends - and some of my friends. They went out at midnight... closed down a bar... went for pizza where a flash mob started an hour of disco and dancing - and made it back to the hotel as the sun was coming up.

They had great fun... I used to love that kind of fun. Now, I'd rather sit in the hotel room and pull out my finger nails than go have that much fun.

I do not judge their fun - but it is not my version of fun anymore.

Of course, my young son can't afford to go to a wonderful restaurant and order an expensive bottle of wine and not worry how he will pay the bill.

So with age, I get to have my fun - but maybe different fun.

Ira, the fat butt crack - now that's just mean. (a bit funny, a bit mean!).

ira Aug 9th, 2013 07:03 AM

Hi CE,

>Ira, the fat butt crack - now that's just mean. (a bit funny, a bit mean!).<

Thank you. :)

KL467 Aug 9th, 2013 08:19 AM

Wolfgang Höfler is a fun tour guide in Vienna.