Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

fun stuff to do in florence for a teenager???

Old May 6th, 2002, 12:39 AM
katie

hi!
i'm going to be in florence for three or four days this june with my family. i'm 18 and my sister is 16. we're wondering what kinds of things there are to do for teenagers in florence??? for the most part, we're up for anything. any suggestions would be great. thanks.

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:25 AM
MC

Hello, There's all the great museums...
And don't forget the Boboli Garden with their own museums. The Ponte Vecchio and the streets nearby.

You could also, if it's not already done, make your own mind by reading different guide books, you may have a different interest ?
Have a nice trip !

Old May 6th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Lori

The highlight in Florence for my 15 year old daughter and her friend seemed to the backside of Michaelangelo's David. They also enjoyed the churches, piazzas, cafes. The Piazzelle (sp?) Michaelango, high above the town is great for street artists, photo ops, etc. Don't miss the gelato, also a teenage favorite -- as much and almost any gelato is better than no gelato, but Vivoli's (a couple blocks from Santa Croce) is worth the effort it takes to find it. While our girls found the Ponte Vecchio festive, both night and day, they thought the shopping was better on the "other" side of the Arno -- more Italian designer shops, which was what they were into. I'm sure there must be clubs -- this is Italy -- and remember, altho you are teenagers, both of you are of legal drinking age in Italy so there's probably alot of nightlife geared to teenagers.

Old May 6th, 2002, 12:26 PM
BoredMan

Get Mugged. It's a unique experience which will last you a lifetime.

Old May 6th, 2002, 12:35 PM
LJ

My daughter was a student in Italy for two years recently and spent a fair bit of time in Florence: I asked her and this is her list
1. Straw Market and the Food Market next door
2. The Clubs esp. the "Ayrton Senna" (sp?) Club off Via Faenza with the live peacocks, but don't expect anything to liven up 'til after 10

3. Trattoria Antelessi

4. The Ufizzi after the tourists have gone-go in exactly 1 hour before closing any day

5. To meet lots of other students from around the world, any Piazza or Mac Donalds

6. Take the bus up to Fiesole and toru the ruins of the Etruscan market-bring a picnic-look out over Florence in the courtyard of the hotel next to the bus stop

Old May 6th, 2002, 02:48 PM
kmarie

I'm not sure if I'm repeating one of LJ's suggestions. Maybe this is the straw market...

If you enjoy shopping and 'dealing,' you might like the outdoor market near San Lorenzo church. Stalls and stands with (not always the highest-quality) goods-- silk scarves and ties, pottery, leather items, jewelry, paper goods and stationery. Some vendors have items similar to others, so it's competitive and you can do some bargaining. My two twenty-something daughters were very happy with the leather totes I got for them there.

You can find the top quality paper goods and stationery that Florence is renowned for (cards, blank books, writing paper) in some small specialty shops.
And, of course, there are many shops that feature leather items--small goods, and jackets, and pants, etc.

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:26 AM
topping

Topping for Samantha

Old May 8th, 2002, 01:51 PM
topping

Once more.